Hotels for Tampa Cruising

Cool_chick

I'm looking for hotels near the Tampa port. I'm having a difficult time because of the conditions I need, which are as follows:

I don't need a 400 dollar a night hotel. Besides, all the hotels right around the area (within 1 mile) are booked. I would like a nice, clean hotel in a safe area with a restaurant nearby. I'll be arriving the afternoon the day before the cruise and won't have a car. I'm a female I'll be travelling with a female 81 year old. Thus, I would like a nice, safe, clean hotel with a restaurant on site or within close walking distance.

When researching hotels, I'm reading reviews that talks about bugs in the room and also unsafe areas.

So, I'm wondering if someone can suggest a clean hotel in a safe area with restaurant access that is close enough to the port so that I can get to it the next day via cab (or shuttle would be even better).

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

The two best ones are Embassy Suites Down Town Tampa-Convention Center

1 813 769-8300 around $170.00 per night (maybe cheaper if you have AAA)

Marriot Waterside Hotel -which is right across the street but a bit pricier!

Both are just down the street from the port (literly) Loads of restaurants to choose from right there and the trolley that is only $4.00 pp all day all night , it is right outside the front doors of both hotels!!!

That is your very best bet, very safe, VERY clean......lots to do and right at your port!!! Trust me you won't be disappointed!! Good luck!:D

The two best ones are Embassy Suites Down Town Tampa-Convention Center

1 813 769-8300 around $170.00 per night (maybe cheaper if you have AAA)

Marriot Waterside Hotel -which is right across the street but a bit pricier!

Both are just down the street from the port (literly) Loads of restaurants to choose from right there and the trolley that is only $4.00 pp all day all night , it is right outside the front doors of both hotels!!!

That is your very best bet, very safe, VERY clean......lots to do and right at your port!!! Trust me you won't be disappointed!! Good luck!:D

i stayed at the marriott waterside...very nice, as was the Embassy. The westin might be an option...keep trying, the hotels may have cancelations....i would NOT stay at the Courtyard or Residence Inn as there really isn't anything around either of them....

Sorry (duh), January 9, checkout 10.

All those right around the pier are booked.

I saw in another thread and I'm interested in Sailport Resort. Is that a safe area, close to some restaurant to walk to (with an old one), and can I get a cab easily?

I was there a few months back and did the Grand Hyatt for around $150. Very nice hotel and a great restaurant on the grounds called Oystercathers. Around 15 minutes from the port BUT it really sits out all by itself without anything else around. You can walk throughout the resort to several different pool areas and on a boardwalk through some mangroves that is nice. 15 minutes from the airport as well.

Sailport is not anywhere near the port, although you can get a cab - and there are no restaurants nearby to walk to - about half a mile - and you have to cross a highway. I would not do that with my 81 year old MIL!. The Wyndham is also near the port - right around the corner from the Waterside Marriott. About a mile away from the port is the Courtyard and Residence Inn in Downtown Tampa - both are nice and share a pool. The Residence Inn serves free breakfast -and the Courtyard has a restaurant inside. And you can Check out the Marriott Westshore (the AAA rate is 85.00) and it has restaurants inside the hotel. We have stayed there and are staying there on our next cruise - next week. Hope this helps. There is also a Residence inn near the International Mall - we stayed there too. (we travel to Tampa a lot - not always to cruise - and We lived there for a while too - on Harbour Island - right across from the port.

Valerie

Just to clarify, the Sailport is about a 15 to 20 minute ride from the port. Its about a $20/$25 or so taxi ride to the pier. I believed I mentioned you would need to take a taxi to restaurants, but I just remembered, the Sailport provides FREE transportation to any where in a 3 mile or so radius to anywhere you want to go. That would cover a multitude of restaurants, not to mention 2 large malls. Also the cost of staying here in one of there suites, will more then pay for the cost of a taxi!

Mark

Thank you so much.

To add to my stupid dilemna, I need a place with a shower chair and a toilet lift (she could forego the toilet lift for one night, however), and a balcony (I smoke, but detest smoking rooms). That Sailport was PERFECT in every way for me except they don't have shower chairs!!!!! Shockingly, they have no accommodations for handicapped people. I'm really bummed, because that Sailport was perfect in every other way (nice view, quiet, peaceful, they could get us to the restaurant, etc.).

Any other ideas like the Sailport but with a friggin shower chair?

If you have not found a place yet... Try the Homewood Suites.813-282-1950.. It's about 13 miles away but if you perfer a ride over I'm driving my truck down.. I stay with Hilton alot and know they will go outta their way to help. From your posts -- I see you are also a first time cruiser.. The friend I'm bringing with me, it's also her first.. welcome

D

Thanks.

I booked Bay Harbor. Has a balcony, restaurant, and handicapped access. Transportation from the airport to the hotel, and a shuttle for $10 to the port. I'll report after the cruise how it was so others can know.

My second cruise, me2mean. First one was out of Miami. I don't remember a whole lot about the planning details, just the cruise. LOL.

Archived