safe to hire a taxi driver for island tour?

jennymaxgirl

We will be there for the day on our cruise. We have children ages 4 & 8 and are interested in an island tour, potentially including the soufriere / pitons region.

Just wondering if it is safe or recommended to hire a taxi driver who offers us an island tour? We did this on Aruba and it worked out great, although I am aware that every island is different and don't know if St. Lucia is more dangerous.

Thanks,

Jennifer

We will be there for the day on our cruise. We have children ages 4 & 8 and are interested in an island tour, potentially including the soufriere / pitons region.

Just wondering if it is safe or recommended to hire a taxi driver who offers us an island tour? We did this on Aruba and it worked out great, although I am aware that every island is different and don't know if St. Lucia is more dangerous.

Thanks,

Jennifer

The taxi industry in St Lucia is regulated and registered taxis can be recognized by a blue number plate starting with "TX". St Lucia is Safe but you may find a few incidents which may occur now and then. Soufrieretours.com company is based in soufriere and can provide you with an in-depth island tour. I also know of Ray Jay taxi Service who have part time police officers as tours guides should security be your main concern.

• 1 month later...
The taxi industry in St Lucia is regulated and registered taxis can be recognized by a blue number plate starting with "TX". St Lucia is Safe but you may find a few incidents which may occur now and then. Soufrieretours.com company is based in soufriere and can provide you with an in-depth island tour. I also know of Ray Jay taxi Service who have part time police officers as tours guides should security be your main concern.

My Husband & myself have been on Cruise stop on St Lucia once before & have done an Island tour , we would like to go to Pigeon Island on this next stop in 3 weeks time but are not sure about getting there & back . Are there water taxis from the port which we think would be very nice ? Otherwise would Road taxis be reliable & come back for us as we don't want to worry while we are there about getting back to the ship & what would be the charge .?

Any advice would be appreciated . thanks from Ann.

My Husband & myself have been on Cruise stop on St Lucia once before & have done an Island tour , we would like to go to Pigeon Island on this next stop in 3 weeks time but are not sure about getting there & back . Are there water taxis from the port which we think would be very nice ? Otherwise would Road taxis be reliable & come back for us as we don't want to worry while we are there about getting back to the ship & what would be the charge .?

Any advice would be appreciated . thanks from Ann.

Yes, road taxi would be perfect. Takes 25-35 minutes to get there, leave more time on return due to only one road. Cost is $35us one way for 1-3 guests. Taxi will return foe you at any prearranged time you like, or there are always ones available outside the gates, and over near Sandals Grande. Water taxi may or may not be available, but will be significantly more costly.