Non-beach clothing

janetbegum

My husband and I are going to Roatan (and Santo Tomas and Belize) in a week and we need help with what to wear. A friend of my husband's spent a week there and said we should wear long-sleeves and jeans because of the mosquitos. I am okay with jeans but the long-sleeves will kill me. If I dose myself with lots of bug spray with Deet, are long-sleeves really necessary? We won't be doing the beach/water thing but will be doing nature and ruin tours. I am assuming that what goes for Roatan will also go for Santo Tomas and Belize?

Any help I can get would be appreciated.

Janet

We were in Roatan last December on a cruise; we didn't see any mosquitos at all. We took an island tour; driving around the island, iguana farm, ziplining and a stop at a beach. My husband got a few welts from what were probably sand fleas at the beach--they didn't bother him; he didn't even know he had them until we got back to the ship, and they were gone in a day. I don't really think when there for just a day you will need to wear long sleeves and slacks. We wore shorts and tank tops and t-shirts. I didn't see anyone else from the cruise covered up either.

We didn't even use insect spray, but that would probably be a good thing to do.

In Belize we did cave tubing which involved a short jungle hike. No mosquitos there either, though there were a few gnat-like insects.

I, too, would die in that many clothes, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to take them with you to wear if needed, in a backpack or something. I think it may be different if you are there only in the day and don't go into deep jungle or swampy, damp areas.

Archived