RCL Monarch of the Seas, 3 day Bahamas- FIRST TIME

Lolly23

Hi everybody,

This forum is awesome!

But even after reading through, I still have some questions.

I'm going on a cruise for the first time. My husband and I decided to start with a reasonably priced/ short cruise.

1. We have a room on the 4th deck, OceanView. Are those decent?

2. What's with the water? There is a mention of "buying a water package". Is the water not free there? What kind of a thristquencher can you get without paying extra? Is their tapwater OK tasting?

3. Soda package- what is up with that? No free fountain drinks?

4.Do you have to pay extra for "my time dining?" We didn't sign up for that. Who will let us iknow which table to take at dinner time?

5. Once we board, can we have lunch on the ship? or, does the buffet only open once she ship actually departs from the port?

6. At the very end, can you leave and lug your suitacase with you? or do you have to leave it in the room and wait for them to bring it out?

7. The ship comes back at 7 am. Do I need to be ready to come off right at that time? Can I eat breakfast?

8. Tipping at the end of the cruise- what if they find your tip insufficient? Is there a huge line at the end togive tips, or can that be doen in an easier way ( we did not prepay)

9. No curling/flat iron, is that right? How am I gonna get my hair all pretty for dinner?

10. How much is parking at the port and how far do you have to walk to the boat

11. Booze. has anyone tried to bring a bottle of wine in their suitcase? Do they really dig through your luggage? What if you pack soem bottled water in your suitcase? How much is a pitcher of beer/ a bottle of wine on the cruise

I am very excited and would like to be prepared! Any input is appreciated

There's nothing wrong with a deck 4 OV.

Tap water is free....and fine to drink. You will need ice, tho (it never "runs cold") and your attendant will bring ice twice daily. Tea, coffee, lemonade are also included, with juice avail. at breakfast.

No free soda...you can buy a can when you want ($2.24) or if you guzzle soda all day long, the package is a better deal...fountain soda only.

MTD isn't extra, but you will be required to "pre-pay" your gratuities if you choose that dining option. Your table number for traditional dining is on your room key...someone will show you to your table!

The buffet opens about 11:30 for lunch.

You can carry off your own bags, as long as you can handle them without assistance.

The will want you off the ship pretty fast that last morning...you'll be off before 8am, if you're doing self-carry. Breakfast is EARLY on the last morning!

As long as you tip the recommended amount, it will be sufficient. Even if you DON'T tip what they suggest, no one will come after you!!! On the last day, you will get envelopes in your cabin for each person you should tip...take the envelopes for the dining room folks with you to dinner...tip at the end of the last meal. Leave your cabin attendant's tip in the cabin...they'll get it!

You MAY bring any and all hair appliances...curling irons, flat irons, electric curlers...it's "CLOTHES IRONS" that aren't allowed.

Can't help with parking!

Some folks are able to "smuggle"...some aren't. They xray your things and if they see something that they think might be alcohol, they'll hold your bags, have you open them, and confiscate whatever "illegal booty" you might have brought. It's hardly worth the effort.

Bring binoculars.

Get a guidebook on your ports, so you'll know where you're going!

• 10 months later...

Archived