Visas

Trend

We are on the Singapore to Bali Feb cruise and Azamara is telling my TA that on the ship they arrange your Indonesian Visa. They will charge to your on board account. Has anyone had this experience as we are nervous about traveling without the Visa until we embark on the cruise, yet this makes things very easy as you do not have to send off your passports anywhere.

We are on the Singapore to Bali Feb cruise and Azamara is telling my TA that on the ship they arrange your Indonesian Visa. They will charge to your on board account. Has anyone had this experience as we are nervous about traveling without the Visa until we embark on the cruise, yet this makes things very easy as you do not have to send off your passports anywhere.

I was there early this year on the Journey. There was no problem with the visa; Azamara did whatever they needed to do. I don't remember there being a charge. If there was one, it was small. The cruise made several stops in Indonesia, all of which were fantastic. Have a great time.

Hi Trend. there has been a pretty big thread running on Asia forum and there is an excellent article on Trip Advisor about Indonesia visa.

1. It now costs $35 US and is only available in 30 day visa (used to be a 7 day and there is a long visa but that is not available at instant visa entries)

2. Your passport must be valid for 6 months past the visa. Visa starts with buying /first stop in Indonesia.

3. Can only buy at certain airports and ports but your itinerary included.

4. We will have to buy ours at DPS when we fly in from Taiwan on Feb 11 before taking the short flight to Yogyakarta. We have 4 hours -- hope it is long enough but most reports no problem.

I have not dealt with AZ or Indonesia but I have gotten visas while on board a ship and it works very well. Sometimes your cabin steward takes the passport and returns it to you with visa. Sometimes you have to take passport and go through individual line usually on the ship but occasionally it is in a cruise terminal/pier. Often it is a blanket visa for the whole ship and you are just included. I would think on this one you will need individual proof of paying visa fee. I see no photo requirement. The government of Indonesia (or whatever country ship is entering) is in complete control of the process. Ship and cruise line must just follow the laws of the country. That is why it can vary so much. Sometimes country of passport dictates price and fees. Usually ship does not add a fee but the government can add a fee for making it available to ship passengers. (thus price difference looks like ship is screwing you:p). Governments are sometimes inconsistent in interpretation of laws for country and the currency exchange rate. If entering Indonesia other than on the ship (like we are), then advised to bring exact major currency (Euros, Dollars, Yen) because you get local currency back as change at a poor rate of exchange.

6. If leaving by plane from Bali, there is an exit fee. Don't know if ship has to charge a fee too. (but I will find out in FEB. )

Then I can relax and let the cruise line take care of this. As when I look it up on the Visa site here it says you can not apply earlier than 30 days before departure and you have to send passports tickets and other stuff.

This makes it much easier as my husband needs to travel before this trip so he needs his passport.

Then I can relax and let the cruise line take care of this. As when I look it up on the Visa site here it says you can not apply earlier than 30 days before departure and you have to send passports tickets and other stuff.

This makes it much easier as my husband needs to travel before this trip so he needs his passport.

Just make sure that you have the 6 months (won't let you on ship) and that you have some empty pages for the visas -- some countries want 1 page or double page completely empty! We had to get more pages this summer.

Then you can not say you don't want to pay. It is part of the contract that you must cooperate with the visa process EVEN IF you are not going ashore!

You are still responsible for finding out for EACH country what the requirements are and meeting them either as individual or as part of the group.

Yes trust them! The ship will NOT be allowed to let any passenger off the ship including ship's crew until all Visa matters are taken care of. Have you ever heard that announcement of "Welcome to (blank) the ship has been cleared for customs and other regulations and passengers are free to go ashore using the gangways at midship on deck 3. ". The ship is cleared! not individuals at that point. Then you might have to go through individual check (this is where the food police often appear so take no food from the ship except individually packaged processed foods like a granola bar or pack of crackers) so you could be denied entry there as an individual but it would not be for lack of a visa.

The ship and all upon it must be cleared. Then in some cases the individual is admitted but it is not a huge deal at all. They will not allow you to embark if your paperwork is not proper. That is the stage where you give the nice welcoming lady your passport and your boarding papers. Don't worry Trent it will go well. I have had visas bought by the ship's authority and ones bought by me both mail in and go to the Embassy in DC for many countries. It is very common and no problem as long as you follow the rules. It will happen with more than just Indonesia on this trip and you will not even know about it. Now if you embark or disembark say in Bali like we do -- we have to buy our visa in the airport arrival area as we will be in Indonesia for a full 10 days before the cruise. The visa stamp will be placed in our passport and duly noted when we embark.

• 2 weeks later...

Was on theJourney in April. Azamara did the visas onboard and our ship account was charged 25USD per person.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Since I always do the China Visa's it was uncomfortable letting it be done by someone else. In this case since my husband travels a lot it is better to let the line do it.

Thanks all for the reassurance.