Where is the Glass Beach in St. George?

JRA1708

Would love to visit a glass beach. I heard the one by King's Wharf, you are not allowed to take any glass from it. I read a few people talking about the glass beach in St. George...pointers please on how to get there.

I only want a couple pieces of glass, just enough to make my own trinket.

Thanks,

Jodi

The glass beach in St George is located to the left of Alexandria Battery on Barry Rd. The beat time to visit would be at low tide because the low water would expose a small cave for best pickin'.

To get there, walk straight out from the ferry dock until you reach York St; turn right onto York (harbor is always on your right); stay on York, until it becomes Mullet Bay Rd; stay on MBR until it becomes Cut Rd; CR intersects with Barry Rd and AB is on your right. Or you could hire a taxi to take you there

SBtS

The glass beach in St George is located to the left of Alexandria Battery on Barry Rd. The beat time to visit would be at low tide because the low water would expose a small cave for best pickin'.

To get there, walk straight out from the ferry dock until you reach York St; turn right onto York (harbor is always on your right); stay on York, until it becomes Mullet Bay Rd; stay on MBR until it becomes Cut Rd; CR intersects with Barry Rd and AB is on your right. Or you could hire a taxi to take you there

SBtS

We are going to be spending the morning at Tobacco Bay. Is it possible to walk to the sea glass beach from Tobacco Bay? And if so, how far is it and how do we get there? Also what are the directions to walk back to the ferry from the sea glass beach and how far would that be?

Thank you.

We are going to be spending the morning at Tobacco Bay. Is it possible to walk to the sea glass beach from Tobacco Bay? And if so, how far is it and how do we get there? Also what are the directions to walk back to the ferry from the sea glass beach and how far would that be?

Thank you.

You can walk from Tobacco Bay. Continue on from there and the road goes to St. Catherine. The road along the ocean is Barry Road. Continue on and to that beach. It is by Alexandria Battery. Then to get back continue on around, it becomes the cut road and back to the town square. It is easier than it may sound. Pick up a color pocket map put out by the Bermuda Dept. of Tourism at one of the Village Information Centers. There is a small inset on the map, Town of St. George Area, next to the Town of St. George inset map, that shows the roads and places. They usually have some on some of the ships too. I usually get one onboard. Sometimes they have them at the Shore Excursions desk or Guest Relations. You will feel more confident doing it having the map. I have no idea of the distance that it was. Since I am one who does long walks I keep going and going....

Edited by Charles4515

St George:

StGeonewv2.jpg

Google maps has the distance from TB to AB at 1.1 miles.

SBtS

Since you mention Google Maps, I would mention I have downloaded their Bermuda map to my iPhone. You don't have to maintain a data connection, (many have that off to prevent unexpected $ charges), it shows location on the map even with data off.

I've never heard of the Glass Beach. Is it literally bottles and glass broken up and washed ashore? Smoothed over time by the surf and sand? We will be in Bermuda in June and I'm trying to figure out how to spend our 3 days :)

I've never heard of the Glass Beach. Is it literally bottles and glass broken up and washed ashore? Smoothed over time by the surf and sand? We will be in Bermuda in June and I'm trying to figure out how to spend our 3 days :)

It is broken bottles weathered in the ocean. It is washed ashore to some beaches. There are a few beaches in Bermuda where it piles up. Some use it to make jewelry. Some Bermudians are upset about tourists collecting the sea glass. A lady last year bragged about collecting loads of it for her jewelry and that didn't go over well. Some ships have been confiscating the glass. The private glass beach near the Dockyard has a sign up prohibiting collecting glass there.

Edited by Charles4515

I think that taking the glass away from the beaches that have it is not a good thing. I would enjoy seeing the glass at the beach now and years from now rather than hearing how there used to be a sea glass beach until people hauled it all away for souvenirs. That doesn't mean you can't collect some and arrange it on the beach and snap a beautiful picture of your creation on the spot, then buy a big bag of sea glass at Michael's when you get home to make trinkets that remind you of your wonderful vacation.

Since you mention Google Maps, I would mention I have downloaded their Bermuda map to my iPhone. You don't have to maintain a data connection, (many have that off to prevent unexpected $ charges), it shows location on the map even with data off.

What app did you download to your iPhone in order to get the Bermuda map?

Also do you know how long of a walk it is back to the ferry?

Thank you

Edited by GiGi

What app did you download to your iPhone in order to get the Bermuda map?

Also do you know how long of a walk it is back to the ferry?

Thank you

Google Maps is the app. In Google Maps you can download maps to use when you are offline.

The distance is not long. About a mile. Since I stop along the way, that is the point, my time can vary. Without stopping could be 15 minutes or less. It is best not to get back to the ferry in St. George's at the last minute as it could be full.

Edited by Charles4515