Help on Veendam port days including Bermuda Day

1620rock

We will be on the Veendam May 20 sailing to Bermuda and looking for help on days in port. We visited on the Dawn in 2014 and went to Horseshoe to Warwick lunch in Hamilton (want to repeat) St. Georges and Tobacco Bay, Dockyard and the Museum and Fort.

This trip want to go to beaches, caves and of course will do sightseeing in Hamilton since docked there

May 22 - arrive at 1 p.m. bus to either Elbow Beach or John Smith for beach time if weather is good have not been to either. Would you recommend on over the other is the a town or other attractions nearby

Back-up suggestion if not a beach day?

May 23 -get picnic in Hamilton bus to Warwick and walk path and beaches to Horseshoe - (We did this in 2013 from Dockyard and loved it!) Are there minivans from Horseshoe to Hamilton or only Dockyard? Maybe go to Dockyard after beach and wander a bit then ferry back to Hamilton or just bus/taxi to Hamilton

May 24 - Will we be able to get around by bus on Bermuda Day? Crystal Cave in the morning and then would really love to go to St. David's beaches Turtle Bay/Long Beach. How to go about this on our own bus to Caves and then can we get a taxi Turtle Bay and walk to Clearwater and get a taxi back from or to Hamilton or will it not be possible to get taxis this day? What schedule will buses be on Bermuda Day.

Is this too much and will the beaches be crowded? Really unsure about what to do. Other idea is bus to Caves and then bus St. Georges to Fort Catherine and nearby beaches and bus back to Hamilton.

Will we be missing out by skipping Bermuda day events in Hamilton? We are not really parade public fair fans....

May 25 - all aboard 12:30 - Would this be a good day visit Crystal/Fantasy caves or if other beach days are rain out go early go nearby beach and taxi back?

Sorry forgot to add, thanks for any and all help. I have search boards and am just really unsure about the travel situation on Bermuda Day. We just booked this cruise last week so am behind in planning. So thanks for any suggestions and recommendations :D

• 3 weeks later...
We're going next July, and I've never been to Hamilton before... It seems like it's far from everything, and there's no easy way to get to St George!!!

Sent from my LGL33L using Forums mobile app

You can take a bus to St. George's or take a ferry to the Dockyard and then take another ferry to St. George's.

It is very easy to get to St. George's from Hamilton. An example of what you can do, take the bus, very easy from Hamilton. You can hop off at Flatts Village, beautiful views, BAMZ is there, then on to the Swizzle Inn, then to St. George's. Or take the bus, stop at the Crystal Caves, or Tom Moore's Jungle and on to St. George's. Or take the bus to John Smiths Bay, spend a couple of hours there and on to St. George's.

I have also done it by the ferries. Take the ferry to the Dockyard. Spend some time there, then the ferry to St. George's.

I did the Veendam twice to Hamilton and both times went to St. George's one of the four days.

We're going next July, and I've never been to Hamilton before... It seems like it's far from everything, and there's no easy way to get to St George!!!

You've never been to Hamilton and yet you write it is too far from everything, is that correct???

Hamilton is almost in the center of Bermuda; the Dockyard is at the west end of Bermuda. What are the everything Hamilton is far from?

And about going from Hamilton to St George's, you take a public bus, routes #1, #3, #10, or #11. Travel time of about 50 minutes; from the Dockyard to SG by ferry, travel time about 45 minutes.

Please post some examples that support your claim.

SBtS

Sorry forgot to add, thanks for any and all help. I have search boards and am just really unsure about the travel situation on Bermuda Day. We just booked this cruise last week so am behind in planning. So thanks for any suggestions and recommendations :D

Here is the ferry schedule for Bermuda Day.

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20170517/bermuda-day-ferry-advisory

Thanks for the replies. I am glad the other poster revived my thread, ;)

We sail on Saturday and am still not sure about what to do on Bermuda Day.... but realized should try to avoid taxis that day as already expensive taxis have a surcharge on holidays. Oh well will just expect that transportation will be slow (but not like 4th of July traffic to the Cape) and whatever we do II sure we will have a good time.