American Table and food allergies

CanWeGoYet?

Wondering if anyone with food allergies can advise me how well things were handled with the American Table format. I had only a more minor allergy in the past & was so impressed with how careful the MDR staff were in the past.

Now I have a half dozen food allergies crop up in the past year, and hoping I won't be the princess at the table - if we are supposed to order family style dishes I may just end up eating on lido.

Sailed with DD (allergic to nuts) on the Inspiration. Had absolutely no issues in the MDR.

We preorder her first night's meal with the hostess at embarkation. At dinner either the hostess or waiter took the next day's order.

We've eaten the American Table many times since its inception and have enjoyed watching the recipes get tweaked over our cruises. Not too many things are shared anymore. Even when they were, you could always have ordered something as an individual portion.

We find the buffet to be more difficult. The hostess and Lido chef are very knowledgable. The line cooks mean well but do not know enough. Be very careful of cross contamination at any buffet.

Edited by SadieN

Sailed with DD (allergic to nuts) on the Inspiration. Had absolutely no issues in the MDR.

We preorder her first night's meal with the hostess at embarkation. At dinner either the hostess or waiter took the next day's order.

We've eaten the American Table many times since its inception and have enjoyed watching the recipes get tweaked over our cruises. Not too many things are shared anymore. Even when they were, you could always have ordered something as an individual portion.

We find the buffet to be more difficult. The hostess and Lido chef are very knowledgable. The line cooks mean well but do not know enough. Be very careful of cross contamination at any buffet.

In the past we would give DW order for next dinner to social host/hostess and things would go great.

Last few cruises you do it thru head waiter and nothing but problems.

We give list of allergies the first night (including all green vegetables) and things kept popping up. For example 4 th night chicken came with huge piece of spinach on top.. Her dinner had to be remade. Asked to speak to MD and he finally came the next night.

Finally had meeting with MD and head chef and after that it was ok.

Will speak to MD at embarkation time before next cruise to see if we can head off problems at the pass.

We have been on several different ships with American Table and always go to the Maitre'd the first day at around 1:00p.m. and arrange that nights meal. Then after that place the next days order with either the Hostess or the waiter before leaving the Dining Room each evening. I need salt free, and I do read the food contents on the menu and I know which items they could not do without salt. They will eliminate fancy toppings on items if you

request them to and leave entree's plain rather than covered in sauces etc.,

They will work with you as they want you to be happy and enjoy your meals:)

P.S. you do not have to wait in line to see the Maitre'd,(with people trying to change tables etc.,) just go down the side to talk to the hostess, and she will take care of you.

We have done cruises before and after American Table with dietary restrictions. No problems with any. One daughter requires gluten free, DH is allergic to seafood, and other DD and I are allergic to mushrooms. She's also vegetarian. The hostess came around from first night on and we ordered ahead. Although I understand it's possible with your time dining, we prefer traditional. Just makes it a little easier. We always notify special needs ahead of time; but you could wait til 1st night and let hostess know when you enter the DR. They are so careful.

We actually enjoyed the American Table more. They pretty much modified anything daughter wanted to GF and at least twice fixed special dish without mushrooms.

Just be sure to explain it and remind waiters, etc.

They were great for us on the Conquest. My sister is gluten free and my mom has the longest, most ridiculous allergy list you could imagine. They both went to the dining room the first afternoon and spoke to the dining room hostess who entered all the information and helped them get meals picked for the first night. After that our waiter came around each night to help with picking for the next day (both dinner and breakfast/sea day brunch were done at this time). The hostess kept coming to make sure everything was ok, at least once a night. Neither one had any allergy contamination the entire cruise and the chef would sometimes surprise them both with things totally off menu that neither had ordered but as a special treat in addition to their regular selections (including the best gluten free cookies my sister said she has ever had). They were fantastic for us, it was great getting to eat in a restaurant setting with my family and not having to worry about anything, we don't get that very often.

By the way, nothing is really served family style for the American Table menu anymore, except the bread basket. My sister and mom would each get separate allergy safe bread delivered to the table each night on a plate so it wasn't with the bread they couldn't have.

If anyone ever needs anything dining room related while on the Conquest, Diana is the person to go see. She was amazing. We sent corporate the longest letter of praise about her when we got back. We didn't know her actual position until halfway through the cruise and were shocked she was only a hostess. We had assumed she was at least an assistant maitre d with how much responsibility and ownership she took for everything in the dining room. Absolutely incredible.

Edited by NoDayButToday

Thanks to all for feedback, suggestions & advice.

It will be nice to be able to enjoy someone elses cooking for a change. Am having such a time of it with the many food restrictions that I don't even eat in restaurants anymore. A fruit & cheese tray from starbucks is the only thing I'll chance on, if I'm away from home & didn't think to pack a snack.

Thanks to all for feedback, suggestions & advice.

It will be nice to be able to enjoy someone elses cooking for a change. Am having such a time of it with the many food restrictions that I don't even eat in restaurants anymore. A fruit & cheese tray from starbucks is the only thing I'll chance on, if I'm away from home & didn't think to pack a snack.

About eating onshore---

Can only bring prepackaged things inshore-- no fruit, veggies, meat etc. We bring some stuff from home.

When we travel to countries with other languages we make up allergy cards. You can buy them from selectwisely.com or make up your own.

Edited by SadieN