Questions for experienced Alaska cruisers

cruise kitty

First of all do not forget the coupon book at the port .It has loads of freebies from all the shops

I recommend getting a jacket thete for 20$ .they are warm and rain proof .You will need warm clothes Sept will be fall and cool to cold. ...bring earm socks,hat and mitts or gloves ...stuff them in pockets

Travel with a back pack to add or remove layers

..spray running shoes to water proof them ...seas might be rougher as well so bring seasickness stuff .When we were in Sitka it was very calm in early July Our captain told us in August the waves roll in some pretty big ones .......so be prepared

In Juneau do not miss Mandenhall Glacier and whales ...this is The place to see them ...on a cloudy day its even better vieweing

Go to Skagway as a door to Yukon ...magnificent very green very different...by car or train ..go see Emerald Lake ....fabulous

I suspect all leaves will be coloured by then ..should be awesome

I loved Alaska and BC

Coast it is truly majestic

Bon Voyage

Do make sure she brings some kind of sea sickness remedy; we were on the June 27 sailing of the Solstice and had rough seas leaving Seattle. Better to be prepared than to spend part of your vacation not feeling well!

Blankets were regularly handed out on board which was great. If you can't find where they're being handed out, just ask anyone on the pool deck and they'll happily get one for you.

Previous posters are right about viewing the Tracy Arm: the upper decks get crowded very early, and there was a lot of wind up there too (might have just been our sailing though). I recommend the Sky Lounge if she wants to stay inside (you do have to get here very early though because it gets crowded too). However, if you're willing to go outside, my husband accidentally stumbled upon one of the best places to view the Tracy Arm: on Deck 12, go all the way forward, through the gym, and there's an excellent balcony here with almost no one on it! No trying to take a picture through the hoards, just a quiet spot you can enjoy the glacier.

Alaska's a beautiful place, I hope they enjoy their trip!

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone for their help! Just returned from my folk's house, I printed their express docs, & we closed up their suitcases!

They decided to do the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion, so they can get closer to the glaciers & not miss out if there is too much ice for the ship.

Mom & Dad are a combo of super excitement & super nerves :)