Christmas boat parade

HappilyEverAft-ers

When we saw the boat parade several years ago, the boats circled around and around in the Key West Harbor. We watched it from the top balcony of the Pier House, but I don't know if that location is open to the public anymore.

I would say almost any spot all along Mallory Square or the Hilton Hotel area would be good, especially if you can get up higher some how, such as the Hilton's second floor bar.

Because the boats circle, you get plenty of chance to see each one.

As an aside, we were so darned cold, I almost gave up before the parade ended.

I had never been so cold before or since in Key West. It can happen in December, but it can be really chilly one day and hot and muggy the next as December is kind of a transitional month.

When we saw the boat parade several years ago, the boats circled around and around in the Key West Harbor. We watched it from the top balcony of the Pier House, but I don't know if that location is open to the public anymore.

I would say almost any spot all along Mallory Square or the Hilton Hotel area would be good, especially if you can get up higher some how, such as the Hilton's second floor bar.

Because the boats circle, you get plenty of chance to see each one.

As an aside, we were so darned cold, I almost gave up before the parade ended.

I had never been so cold before or since in Key West. It can happen in December, but it can be really chilly one day and hot and muggy the next as December is kind of a transitional month.

Thank you so much for the reply. I was hoping to avoid Mallory Square all together, so I guess I'll have to rethink this.

I remember once we went down in February, and immediately had to head to buy up a sweatshirt cause it was so cold. I'll have the advantage this year to check the weather ahead of time, so we can be better prepared. Nothing worse than freezing to death.

Thanks again for your help.

There's another area you might try. There's a long wide concrete dock where a Coast Guard cutter serves as a museum. We often like to watch the sunset there. It is well away from the Mallory Square madness that I don't enjoy much either, but it isn't actually in Fort Zachary Taylor State Park. For one thing, the rangers run you out of the park minutes after sunset. You can linger much longer in this dock area and you don't have to pay either.

That area might be the tail end of the boat parade. I don't recall if the boats actually went as far as Fort Zachary Taylor. They stay pretty much right in Key West Harbor.

Another idea is to try to get up higher than Mallory Square itself such as a restaurant or bar that is on the second floor of a building. Time your dinner for the parade if you can get reservations.

You could try Hilton's dockside restaurant but that might be tough to do on that special night.

There's another area you might try. There's a long wide concrete dock where a Coast Guard cutter serves as a museum. We often like to watch the sunset there. It is well away from the Mallory Square madness that I don't enjoy much either, but it isn't actually in Fort Zachary Taylor State Park. For one thing, the rangers run you out of the park minutes after sunset. You can linger much longer in this dock area and you don't have to pay either.

That area might be the tail end of the boat parade. I don't recall if the boats actually went as far as Fort Zachary Taylor. They stay pretty much right in Key West Harbor.

Another idea is to try to get up higher than Mallory Square itself such as a restaurant or bar that is on the second floor of a building. Time your dinner for the parade if you can get reservations.

You could try Hilton's dockside restaurant but that might be tough to do on that special night.

Awesome! Thank you so much for that tidbit. I really appreciate all your help and advice. You've been great. :)

We always have the option of watching the one in Fort Lauderdale, but we'd like to try something different this year. It's a nice break from our cold midwest winters, and really puts us in the Christmas mood.