Great strirrup cay-Cabana location for those who cant walk long distances

jessicak76

Hi,

I am looking for specific answers to GSC and the cabanas available to NCL, Gem cruise.

I can not walk long distances, and was looking at large cabana. Does any one have a recommendation on a cabana number to request? Is there a tram/bus that will take you to a cabana? If the location is a long walk from the tender, that won't be good. If the cabana is far from the ocean, that wont be good either. Their website says people with mobility issues cannot access the water........so Im confused.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you

If you can walk at all, you will be able to access the water. It's shallow and calm. If you cannot walk at all, then it's going to be a problem....they do have transportation around the island...but it can involve a wait. None of the cabanas are "far" from the water...that's the whole point of cabanas! If you need wheelchair, they do have limited numbers of "sand chairs"...simply for transportation only. You can't keep it and use it all day. If you are dependent on a scooter...then you might not be able to use the tenders.

There is a "Cruising with Disability" forum on this site...check it out....TONS of good info on there!

We have the identical issue with my 87-year-old mother, who has arthritic knees and can walk short distances (and thus can enter and exit the tenders with some support) but who uses a wheelchair for anything longer than that. I don't know if you're in a suite class that has access to the Concierge Services, but I just contacted them about the issue for our upcoming August cruise on Gem and they were great. They reserved the large cabana with an eye toward getting one that will have the best accessibility. They also asked how mobile Mom is to make sure she'd be able to use the tenders, and told us about the availability of the sand chairs to get her from the tender dock to the cabana. If you are in a suite with Concierge services, I would certainly contact them.

Thanks Liz. Yes, that sounds like a good idea. I am not a suite guest, but it cant hurt by calling to get NCL's opinion/help. I find their description of the cabanas on their excursions pages quite confusing.