KaoKao chocolate tour-- great for kids

GrandmaHofmann

There have been a number of questions about this tour on cruisecritic over the years, including mine in June. We did take the tour and I thought I would go into more details about it than I have found on cruisecritic. First of all, it is WONDERFUL for kids. We took our grandsons, ages 8 and 11, and they had the best time. The 11-year-old said it was the thing he enjoyed most while on the cruise. It is a $12 cab ride there. Be sure to take a map with you as our driver did not know about it. He thought we wanted the chocolate tour run by the cruise ships. Kaokao is clean and attractive. The kids first washed their hands and were blown away, as kids are, by using chocolate soap and water coming from the "awesome" conch shell faucet. Then there was a short video set up in room one as was all kinds of chocolate making equipment. Then we moved into another small building/room where the boys ground cocoa beans several times into a paste. Then they mixed the paste with sugar and vanilla, ground it all again. Then they turned the chocolate (after a taste test) into a mold and made a chocolate disk. These disks were put into very attractive boxes and taken home. Some people say you get to chose a chocolate bar. This is no longer the case if it ever was. You do taste test about a dozen different small pieces of bars they make. Then you have the option to buy some if you wish. When we were done, in about an hour, a cab was called for us. This turned out to be a far better excursion than I had hoped, and I thought I would let people know exactly what you do on it.

KaoKao is on Cozumel. Hence the need for a taxi.

In Belize City, at the Tourism Village Pier, is MoHo Chocolates. They do make some of their chocolates there and do offer brief tours and of course you can buy their chocolates. Their chocolate is grown in Belize.

Both places are well worth visiting if you're a chocoholic.:D

• 3 weeks later...

Well, darn. We already have something booked for Cozumel this cruise. Keeping KaoKao in mind for the inevitable next time. Looks neat.

http://www.chocolateskaokao.com/DefaultEng.aspx

KaoKao is on Cozumel. Hence the need for a taxi.

In Belize City, at the Tourism Village Pier, is MoHo Chocolates. They do make some of their chocolates there and do offer brief tours and of course you can buy their chocolates. Their chocolate is grown in Belize.

Both places are well worth visiting if you're a chocoholic.:D