Good value walking tapas tour in Barcelona?

tartana

Hello all - we have been researching about doing an evening walking tapas and wine tour in Barcelona in September. Just wondering if anyone has any personal recommendations for a tour that isn't too expensive but was really great :) Thanks!

Edited by tartana

Don't know what a good value means to you but we went on a walking tapas tour with The Barcelona Taste and it was one of the highlights of our trip. It was about 85 euros and worth every penny of it.

Hi dogbert's mom' date=' where did you meet your guide? How far away from the port are they?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I've actually booked the Small group Tapas tour with the "ex" company at a really good promo price - The tour company is Urban Adventures which is reviewed quite highly :) Looking forward to it!

Edited by tartana

I'm sure you're correct, but for many of us non local or even non European, this is all new and strange to us. Plus I assume there can be quite a language barrier in many spots. I know lots of basic Spanish words from the Caribbean and Mexico, but a lot of the menus I've seen from Barcelona don't look very familiar to me lol. After we do the tour, we'll get a better handle of things and how they work - then for future days and visits hopefully we'll go around like pros :) We are looking forward to it as one of our only paid for excursions in Barcelona. Can't wait!

Plus I assume there can be quite a language barrier in many spots. I know lots of basic Spanish words from the Caribbean and Mexico, but a lot of the menus I've seen from Barcelona don't look very familiar to me lol!

I completely understand your concerns but don't worry about language problems - Tapas are generally on display at the bar and you just point to which you fancy trying (although it differs from bar to bar many places don't even have a written menu for Tapas).

Have a wonderful trip.

@tartana... just for info: Spanish is not the local language, it's indeed co-official and widely spoken, but the local language here in Catalonia is Catalan. Just so you know. Catalan is another Romance language from the same family than Spanish, French, Italian or Portuguese. This means that if you can grasp a bit of one of the languages of this family (ie Spanish), you're likely to grasp words here and there in the other languages too (ie in Catalan, or in French...). Obviously, regional accents and pronunciations can bewilder you a bit.... but the baseline is largely common. Albeit in the vast majority of places you'll find most information in Catalan and also in Spanish (and English too, especially true for museums, public transportation and restaurant menus), that's not necessarily so for everything else, ie street signs, most theatre plays or some smaller restaurants/cafes you will find Catalan only. And outside Barcelona and other major cities which have received major waves of Spanish-speaking migrants over the past century or so, Catalan is what you'll normally find albeit, as mentioned, if you speak a bit of Spanish you can communicate using it too as 99% of us Catalans do understand Spanish. English is also spoken (or at least mumbled!) by many. Lastly to mention that we also have here in Barcelona a large population of foreign origin (ranging from the US to Morocco to India to Argentina...) thus in fact, over 120 languages -according to the last City census- are mother tongue to different residents of the city.

Btw, I'd love if you were willing to share the source of your name/nickname.... "tartana" in the Catalan language is this: https://protagonistasdeocio.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/latartana_protagonistas_ociomagazine_7.jpg?w=344&h=256&crop=1 :))))

As per your question, I agree with @campolady, it's quite a waste of money to do tapas on a tour... there are literally hundreds of tapas bars. A good source of info many of us locals use a lot for being "in the loop" when going out is: https://www.timeout.com/barcelona/restaurants

Enjoy!

Thanks for the tips - I know that Catalan is spoken in Barcelona, and many of the menus, etc that I have read are in Catalan, and that's what I was kind of meaning when I said even though I know a lot of simple Spanish words, they are different in Barcelona :) There seem to be quite a few differences with the bit I've been seeing so far anyway. No worries. I like trying to get by conversing with my English, bit of French and very limited Spanish and my hands too of course lol- maybe I'll be able to add a bit of Catalan as well. My screen name "tartana" actually came about because I am from Nova Scotia, Canada and I was using tartan -the NS plaid - but on a few sites, "tartan" was already used, so I just added the "a" lol. I don't think it means anything in English.