How is OB determined

pdx13

We re booked on a cruise for next April and our TA said that OB is not an option. Is this something that is subject to change? What criteria are used for OB? My understanding is that if the option does become available there is substantial savings to be realized. Having never sailed Seabourn this pricing structure is unfamiliar to us.

Thank you

OB means guaranteed minimum veranda suite.

You wont know until a few days before which one and this is subject to change until you board. It is much cheaper than choosing your exact suite, but only if you are satisfied with having your balcony suite chosen for you. Bear in mind you may also get a larger penthouse or above with this option.

There is no criteria that anyone on here knows of. You have no benefit if you have sailed with SB before, it really appears to be pot luck.

So unless you have specified a particular suite or floor you wish to be on, i cannot understand why your TA is not offering this. Unless, due to lack of availability, and or commission.

Edited by Tillylovesseabourn

What Tilly says is right - however, I think that as your potential cruise is so long off Seabourn will currently just list costs for chosen suites; nearer the time almost certainly they will offer probably both OB (guaranteed verandah) and OS (guaranteed window only suite), so you would need to wait to book for some time. The OB and OS prices are indeed lower, so long as you do not mind where you are on the ship, as you will not be given the option to change once it has been decided.

If you have already made a definite booking, obviously this does not apply. However, if you are prepared to take a higher grade guarantee near the time, your TA should inform Seabourn that you would like this option, again you would not have a choice. Otherwise, if you wish to stick with a chosen suite, make sure your TA says 'no upgrade please'.

Hope this is clear!

I think I understand. We have booked a veranda cabin for this cruise, but I would certainly be willing to take my chances on location of that veranda if it meant a substantial savings, as I do not really care where I am so long as I have a veranda. I was just curious as to how Seabourn determines whether to offer OB. I suppose it is possible that as our cruise date draws closer, if there are unsold verandas Seabourn may make OB available, at which time we could cancel our current booking and take the OB.

Thank you for the information; it was not at all clear to me when I read about OB on these boards.