NCL Pajama Jam - Do I want to do it?

Tggrtoes

This is the pay experience in the kids club... the pajama jam. Has anyone done this - and is it worth it? DS is 7, so I am thinking this might be geared to younger kiddos? He would not care to meet Dora, etc,

I'm thinking we pass, since there are so many other things to do, but don't want to miss out if it's one of those totally awesome experiences. ;)

Thanks!

We were on the Breakaway in June and they offered it, however we didn't do it. I had read some reviews of people saying it was really sugary, gross food and a lot of character interaction. If he's not into Dora, I'm not sure it's worth it. Also, I think it's expensive for what it is - parents have to pay too. If my kid was super excited to see the characters I would have considered it, but we have Nick Universe five miles from our house and our dd has seen all of the Nick characters there. Once on board, I was really glad we didn't do it because it was at 9 am on a day we didn't have to be up and ready for anything. I'm sure you'll find some people that loved it, but I think as many have said they wish they hadn't done it.

• 1 month later...

We just did this on the Breakaway, and my advice is to avoid it like the plague. 45 minutes of character time, half of which was spent with them in front of screens posing for pictures with the kids lined up (You can get better pictures at the meet and greets which use greenscreens for some cool backgrounds). Kids got to dance with the characters for about 10 minutes. Food was awful, went straight to the buffet after. (ham and cheese with mayo was one of two choices with protein, the other was hot dogs in a blanket (at 9AM), everything else was oversugared and underflavored.) The way it was structured, there were 5 photo ops as they split Dora and Diego and 2 other characters. $60 for a family of three, and then they try to sell you the pictures (not even a "free" pic). NCL should be embarrassed by this blatant cash grab.

We just did this on the Breakaway, and my advice is to avoid it like the plague. 45 minutes of character time, half of which was spent with them in front of screens posing for pictures with the kids lined up (You can get better pictures at the meet and greets which use greenscreens for some cool backgrounds). Kids got to dance with the characters for about 10 minutes. Food was awful, went straight to the buffet after. (ham and cheese with mayo was one of two choices with protein, the other was hot dogs in a blanket (at 9AM), everything else was oversugared and underflavored.) The way it was structured, there were 5 photo ops as they split Dora and Diego and 2 other characters. $60 for a family of three, and then they try to sell you the pictures (not even a "free" pic). NCL should be embarrassed by this blatant cash grab.

Appreciate the thoughtful feedback. We convinced grandparents to buy Illusionarium instead. :p The nice thing about that is that we ALL will go to that, rather than just the parents and kid. Sounds like the pajama jam is a good option for those kids obsessed with dora/diego, but definitely would be overkill for my son who is a bit "over it all" at the age of 7. :rolleyes:

Thanks again all!

I showed my 9 yr old son videos of Pajama Jam figuring he would say no. He's not interested.... he views himself as too big for that. Other than Sponge Bob and Patrick, the other characters are too girly or for little kids. On the Getaway, the dailies show character greetings on sea days. We plan to get a picture with Sponge Bob, that's it. No one (except me) wants to get up that early (9am breakfast) on a sea day. Much more fun to stay out late at night... and 9 yr old will stay up late at Splash Academy so we adults have more fun.

At Disney World, he is also done with most of the characters..... but he did enjoy the Star Wars characters on Star Wars weekends more fun for boys.

• 1 month later...

I wish I read this BEFORE I over paid for pounds of colored sugar. NCL could have just opened packs of sugar and sent it straight from room service to my children. Total waste of time. Just go to one of the four meet and greets and take pictures with your own camera instead of having the NCL sugar fairies serve colored sugar without any protein and than ask you to pay $20 for a photo on top of $20 p/p cover charge. Never again. I feel ripped off. Worst part of entire trip.

• 2 months later...

I commented on a similar thread regarding this topic. I would avoid this activity completely. The food served was beyond disgusting. Hot dogs, cupcakes, waffles dipped in powder sugar & food coloring everywhere. I was getting a headache just from the mental sugar rush.

I understand that I am on vacation with the kids and I try to lighten up a tad bit because normally, I try to avoid giving my kids sugar when possible. But NCL needs to reconsider this activity. (Or at very LEAST, not charge the parents for this monstrosity). $80 for a family of 4... My husband & I didn't eat anything, and the kids a sugary cupcake and some jello :mad:

The lines for the photo ops took a huge portion of the event. - A good 40 minutes or so of character meet & greet , most of that time spent posing for pics with the very antsy kids (and grownups!) lined up.

I did this on the Gem last July, and I will be sure to avoid it on my upcoming Breakaway cruise.

We passed on the Pajama Jam. I'm starting to think that NCL's "Freestyle" means NCL is free to charge you for every extra little thing. So, NCL wants me to get up early and pay $20pp for crappy breakfast food? To stand in line for characters and only get 1 included photo? What is this, Disney World? My youngest son would prefer to stay up late the night before and have fun at the kids club instead of having to go to be early to get up early for the Jam. We got our photo with Spongebob when they had a meet and greet on the ship -- not at the Jam.

Edited by SeaWatcher65