Jet Ski & Mayan Ruins?

ChesapeakeRider

I am going on a Norwegian cruise with my boyfriend in June. One of our stops is Costa Maya, Mexico.

We are interested in seeing the Mayan Ruins, but I also would love to be able to rent jet skis for an hour while we are there.

What Mayan Ruin tour would you all recommend? I see there are many options. Has anyone done a ruins tour and still had time to do other activities? I don't want to feel rushed booking too much (or planning to do too much).

My plan was to take a cab from the pier to Mahahual where we could walk around/shop/jet ski, etc. Maybe a massage from one of the natives. & then either after or before see the Mayan Ruins.

Suggestions would be much appreciated. Or if there is something better to do, please let me know.

We already have a full beach day in Cozumel and Zip Lining/Cave tubing in Belize planned. We are 22 and 28.

First, how long are you in port? # hours?

If I were you I would contact Native Choice (google them for tour descriptions) and arrange for one of their shorter tours. Most tours of ruins leave in the morning. The ship excursion tours usually take longer and only go from port to port. NC can drop you off at the malecon, if you'd like once your tour is finished. Otherwise it's easy to catch a taxi from their place of business to the malecon.

While other places have access to jet skis, IMO the better spot would be Tequila Beach. It's the first tram stop from the cruise port and they have long had water toys like jet skis available. Tell any taxi driver Tequila Beach and they'll drop you off at the entrance. I can't opine on any recent food or service quality there but it gets mixed reviews from things I've seen. However, for jet skis, that'd be my choice. I believe YaYa Beach may also have them, but I'm not certain and didn't see any around when I was on the malecon in January. Check their website too.

• 6 months later...
First, how long are you in port? # hours?

If I were you I would contact Native Choice (google them for tour descriptions) and arrange for one of their shorter tours. Most tours of ruins leave in the morning. The ship excursion tours usually take longer and only go from port to port. NC can drop you off at the malecon, if you'd like once your tour is finished.

agree with this ... I did the Native Choice tour to Chacchoben and back. The tour left from their business office (short easy walk from the ship) and they gave you a choice of drop off at the port or back at their office. I also went for the shorter tour, and I was back on the ship around 1 PM ... plenty of time for you to do something else .... check out their web site ... you can book through their site too ... I posted a slightly more detailed review on Trip (Advisor)