Is technotel that bad?

Starbright7966

I was going to book the autoprogreso tour to the technotel beach. But I have been reading some bad things on here and now I am not sure what to do. I heard the food was horrible, only had one type of beer, no free margaritas, and the drive was well over 30 minutes.

Not sure what to think. If you have any input I would be very appreciative. I have a 2 year old and an almost 4 year old so any input about taking kids here would be welcome also.

It's not horrible... I mean a day on the beach beats a day at work in my book!:)

The food is terrible, there is only one type of beer, and the drive out there is a half hour or more. Margaritas are free and the more you drink the better they get.

I went there about a month ago and if I had it to do over I would shop around but in the end it is what you make of it.

Edited by Greyhound_Dad

Thanks for the reply. I agree a day at the beach is better than almost everything.

I am considering just going to the free beach because I have heard so many negative things about technotel, but I really don't want to deal with the vendors.

Have you been to the free beach. I don't mind an occasional vendor but don't want to be bombarded by them. I have two small kids and that worries me.

At the free beach you will definitely be bombarded by vendors. They just walk up and down the beach all day and don't seem to remember that you turned them down 30 minutes ago. I think the farther down the beach you go (away from the pier) it will be a little better.

However, they are usually nice folks (I talked to a few of them) and a "no thank you" send them on their way. I wouldn't worry about taking my kids there.

Edited by grantbob

• 4 weeks later...

If you take children to the Progreso beach, the biggest problem with vendors is your children. The vendors sell things that appeal to children, beach toys, inflatables, water guns, and cotton candy. Our grandchildren have the best eyesight in the world when it comes to spotting vendors. We live in the winter near Progreso. We go to Flamingos, about 4 blocks east of the pier. They have good food and drink at reasonable prices. The crowds thin out, so there are fewer vendors. We like to go to Malecon (beachfront) in Progreso on cruise ships days because the restaurants bring in lots of fresh food, and the crowds give it a good vibe.

• 1 month later...

We went to Technotel year before last and to the Reef Club before that, both through Autoprogreso. We actually liked Technotel better. I drank margaritas and they were plentiful; the food was so so but we didn't exactly go there to eat. The beach was clean. Would go there again.