Autoprogreso tour departure times

Bahbert

Just got back from a trip to Progreso on the Carnival Elation. I'd booked a tour through Autoprogreso's website to Dzibilchaltun, and discovered a couple of minor factoids after we got to port that I'd wish I'd known before. So here I am, posting them for future readers.

NOTE: This information only applies to tours offered directly through Autoprogreso; tours offered from Carnival left from the dock itself. I can't speak to any other cruise lines' tours, but I imagine they would function similarly.

First, the bus from the ship takes you to Autoprogreso's terminal, where you can purchase a tour (if you haven't already) or board one you have purchased. It's about four blocks from the beach (though I didn't realize this at the time, and wouldn't have felt great about walking there), and there's not a lot to do. There are some vendors hawking their wares (cigars, sunglasses, jewelry, the normal things), but there's not much to eat. There's only one ATM nearby, and it only provides pesos, so bring plenty of cash for any shopping you might want to do.

Also, the tours leave at different times of the day. I think the schedule is based on the distance for each destination, with Chitchen Itza and Uxmal trips leaving first. Since Dzibilchaltun is so much closer, that tour didn't leave until later in the morning, which meant that my wife and I had to wait around in the bus fumes for a while. If I'd known about that, we wouldn't have rushed off the ship when we docked.

In case you're wondering, here are the departure times they had posted (as of 1/22/15) for each tour:

Chichen: 9:30

Uxmal: 10:00

Combo: 10:30

Tecno: 10:45

Merida: 11:00

Dzibilchaltun: 11:15

Flamingos: 12:15

• 1 month later...
Just got back from a trip to Progreso on the Carnival Elation. I'd booked a tour through Autoprogreso's website to Dzibilchaltun, and discovered a couple of minor factoids after we got to port that I'd wish I'd known before. So here I am, posting them for future readers.

NOTE: This information only applies to tours offered directly through Autoprogreso; tours offered from Carnival left from the dock itself. I can't speak to any other cruise lines' tours, but I imagine they would function similarly.

First, the bus from the ship takes you to Autoprogreso's terminal, where you can purchase a tour (if you haven't already) or board one you have purchased. It's about four blocks from the beach (though I didn't realize this at the time, and wouldn't have felt great about walking there), and there's not a lot to do. There are some vendors hawking their wares (cigars, sunglasses, jewelry, the normal things), but there's not much to eat. There's only one ATM nearby, and it only provides pesos, so bring plenty of cash for any shopping you might want to do.

Also, the tours leave at different times of the day. I think the schedule is based on the distance for each destination, with Chitchen Itza and Uxmal trips leaving first. Since Dzibilchaltun is so much closer, that tour didn't leave until later in the morning, which meant that my wife and I had to wait around in the bus fumes for a while. If I'd known about that, we wouldn't have rushed off the ship when we docked.

In case you're wondering, here are the departure times they had posted (as of 1/22/15) for each tour:

I had the same experience. The people were so aggressive trying to sell their merchandise that I considered going back to the ship. It was terrible. Had I have known how long we'd be stuck at that terminal, I would have taken my time getting there.

• 1 month later...

thanks for posting the times. We took the Dzibilchaltun tour back in 2013, our email told us to be at the bus terminal at 9:30 so we walked around the town and went to the beach for a while-no one bothered us. I bought some Raybans for $8.00. Later I realized they tell everyone who pre-purchased tour to be there are 9:30, I guess so you will walk around and spend some money. We had a great time, enjoyed the tour, and the town of Progreso. I am hoping we can go back this summer.

thanks Bahbert - great info!