Thailand tours

montelco

Hi,

We are planning a cruise on the Super Starship Virgo in early October, but will be visiting Thailand first including Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Micruiser202 :confused: advised us in April that you were using Oriental Escapes on your cruise and we wondered how you went. What tours did you end up doing? Thanks.:)

I just booked tours in Bangkok for two days with Bangkok Day Tours. We get to go see the tigers, see the Damnoen floating market, and ride and BATHE elephants. :-) The price was really reasonable. I had two couples join me.

I wrote and told them some of the highlights I wanted to see there, and they sent me the itinerary.

I don't know how long you are there, but here is what we are doing. Seriously I have emailed and read the itinerary to everyone I am so excited. I almost have it memorized.

Day 1- Bangkok Temples and Canal

From Klong Toey we'll go to Wat Pho with its Reclining Buddha. The Grand Palace is next door and within is Wat Phra Kaeo which is the Kingdom's most revered temple. After a Thai lunch we'll take a long-tail boat trip to Wat Arun and then return to port.

Departs: 08:00

08:00 Pick up dockside Klong Toey Port

We'll be waiting for you when you get off the ship. Your guide will have a sign with your name on it. The sooner you get off the sooner we can leave.

09:30 Grand Palace Wat Phra Kaeo

The Grand Palace incorporates Wat Phra Kaeo or the Temple of the Emerald Buddha which is Thailand's most revered temple. Please dress accordingly.

12:00 Lunch in Thai Restaurant

Lunch will be in a Thai restaurant beside the Chao Phraya River

13:00 Long-tail Boat Trip

Enjoy the long-tail boat trip on the river and into the canal system on the Thonburi side. You can stop at either Wat Arun or the Royal Barge Museum. The Taling Chan Floating Market can be visited during your boat trip, but only on Saturday and Sunday.

15:00 Wat Po Reclining Buddha

Wat Po is considered Thailand's first university and houses the famous Reclining Buddha.

16:00 Depart for Klong Toey

You can relax in air conditioned comfort while the driver returns you to your ship at Klong Toey

17:30 Arrive back at your ship

You can expect to be back on board by 5:30pm

Day 2- Floating Market Tigers Elephants Day Trip

For those lucky enough to be in port over a three day period, the second day allows for an early start and a full day’s activity. This tour includes the original floating market in Damnoen Saduak and the Tiger Temple in Kanchanaburi. Riding & bathing elephants will round out the day nicely.

Departs: 07:00

07:00 Pick up dockside Klong Toey Port

We'll be waiting for you when you get off the ship. Your guide will have a sign with your name on it. Please don't be late or we'll miss the floating market.

08:30 Floating Market Damnoen Saduak

You can take the boat on the canal through the floating market. Please keep your hands inside the boat as there are many boats and we don't want you to jam your fingers.

11:30 Lunch in a Thai Restaurant

We'll have an early lunch in a Thai restaurant so that we are at the Tiger Temple when they open the gates.

12:30 Tiger Temple Wat Pha Luang

We'll get you to the Tiger Temple nice and early so you'll have maximum time there. They'll bring out the younger tigers first and then lead the adult tigers down to the canyon for their afternoon swim and play.

15:00 Elephant Riding & Bathing

The elephant camp is not far from the Tiger temple and here you'll be able to experience the unique sway of an elephant ride. After, you can bathe it in the clear waters of the Kwai river.

16:45 Bridge over the River Kwai

We'll stop at the bridge on the way back to Bangkok. You'll have time to walk on the bridge and take some photos.

17:15 Depart for Bangkok

You can relax in air conditioned comfort while the driver returns you to your hotel in Bangkok.

18:30 Arrive back at the ship

You can expect to be back at the ship by 7:30pm

I have read really good reviews on this board about the company. We did put down 4,000 BAHT deposit per day. However, I am putting 30% of the Vietnam tour down ahead of time also.

ACKK. I want to start packing, but I have to wait because I don't leave until Christmas.

Just a suggestion-you are cramming too much into that second day. You won't have time for all the pictures in Tiger Canyon (it costs extra, but so worth it) or enjoying the elephant show, elephant ride AND elephant bathing.

Either eliminate something (like the floating market, bathing the elephants or the Bridge over the River Kwai) OR take a two day trip, spending the night in Kanchanaburi province (preferably at one of the river raft lodges), then picking up those couple of things in Bangkok proper upon your return if you have time.

It is at least a 3 hour drive to Tiger Temple from Bangkok. You miss the "death railway" and museum, which was a big part of WWII, on your tour. You will not have time to walk along the railroad tracks where there is a Buddhist monk and his temple in a cave.

You will really be rushed with your tour.

In chronological order, at tiger temple-EVERYONE gets to pet the tigers when you first walk in. Photo op. Then they line up everyone to walk the tigers to the Canyon. Everyone gets a photo walking along with the tiger. But the real action happens when you get to the Canyon. You pay extra (1000 Baht in March) but you get many many pictures with all the different tigers. Your tour does not allow time to do this.

Elephant farm-most likely they will take you to Saiyok Elephant Park. They have an elephant show, then you get in line to ride the elephants. The "good" ride takes about 30-45 minutes (costs 300 baht extra). The shortened tourist version takes 10-you get on, you walk around a path, you get off. You wait until the rides are done before they wash the elephants-washing takes up at least an hour.. BUT they have a shortened, touristy version with one or two elephants, which is what you get on your tour. The itinerary they have given you definitely is the short version because if you REALLY wash the elephants, you are a muddy, dirty mess and all you want to do is go swimming or get cleaned up. As you can see from the pictures-I wore white Dockers. They have never really come clean.

Here are a few pictures-taken the last of March. DH had never been to Tiger Temple, so we spent 3 days in Kanchanaburi Province on our way to our business interests in Cambodia. Rafting ride-party barge down the river Kwai, all day tour at tiger temple including breakfast with the monks, 1/2 day with the elephants and 2 nights on a floating resort barge in the River Kwai. Plus of course, walking the Bridge over the River Kwai, walking to the Buddhist cave, the death railway museum, going to all the craft markets.

I am frequently in Thailand on my way to Vietnam/Cambodia for business. I had done all the touristy things-but not at the slow pace I did with DH in March. It was really different and I realized I had missed soooo much before. Please take your time-the elephants and the tigers are worth it.

2131860714_whenyoufirstgettotigertemple.jpg.b8bc18faa5d3d584f81aed2cce096ac8.jpg

733531942_DHwalkingthetigertothecanyon-photoop.jpg.397d5bb145b9eef056e91c4ddec01023.jpg

661248885_DHtryingtobeamahout.jpg.31399c21ad2396b150182f91a0b33f93.jpg

663723897_inthecanyonwheretheyallowlotsofpictures.jpg.50d943e3dbdfb3a06e695a03058c521c.jpg

1640017093_specialphotoops.jpg.49f29a109e22b1262f7443e10648ebaa.jpg

Just a suggestion-you are cramming too much into that second day. You won't have time for all the pictures in Tiger Canyon (it costs extra, but so worth it) or enjoying the elephant show, elephant ride AND elephant bathing.

Either eliminate something (like the floating market, bathing the elephants or the Bridge over the River Kwai) OR take a two day trip, spending the night in Kanchanaburi province (preferably at one of the river raft lodges), then picking up those couple of things in Bangkok proper upon your return if you have time.

It is at least a 3 hour drive to Tiger Temple from Bangkok. You miss the "death railway" and museum, which was a big part of WWII, on your tour. You will not have time to walk along the railroad tracks where there is a Buddhist monk and his temple in a cave.

In chronological order, at tiger temple-EVERYONE gets to pet the tigers when you first walk in. Photo op. Then they line up everyone to walk the tigers to the Canyon. Everyone gets a photo walking along with the tiger. But the real action happens when you get to the Canyon. You pay extra (1000 Baht in March) but you get many many pictures with all the different tigers. Your tour does not allow time to do this.

Elephant farm-most likely they will take you to Saiyok Elephant Park. They have an elephant show, then you get in line to ride the elephants. The "good" ride takes about 30-45 minutes (costs 300 baht extra). The shortened tourist version takes 10-you get on, you walk around a path, you get off. You wait until the rides are done before they wash the elephants-washing takes up at least an hour.. BUT they have a shortened, touristy version with one or two elephants, which is what you get on your tour. The itinerary they have given you definitely is the short version because if you REALLY wash the elephants, you are a muddy, dirty mess and all you want to do is go swimming or get cleaned up. As you can see from the pictures-I wore white Dockers. They have never really come clean.

Here are a few pictures-taken the last of March. DH had never been to Tiger Temple, so we spent 3 days in Kanchanaburi Province on our way to our business interests in Cambodia. Rafting ride-party barge down the river Kwai, all day tour at tiger temple including breakfast with the monks, 1/2 day with the elephants and 2 nights on a floating resort barge in the River Kwai. Plus of course, walking the Bridge over the River Kwai, walking to the Buddhist cave, the death railway museum, going to all the craft markets.

I am frequently in Thailand on my way to Vietnam/Cambodia for business. I had done all the touristy things-but not at the slow pace I did with DH in March. It was really different and I realized I had missed soooo much before. Please take your time-the elephants and the tigers are worth it.

How far from Bangkok or Pattaya is this place and are tours available for just the Elephants and Tigers? Love the pictures!

Edited by chipmaster

How far from Bangkok or Pattaya is this place and are tours available for just the Elephants and Tigers? Love the pictures!

About 2-3 hours each way from Bangkok. Yes-you can design your own tour. For this trip, I used Tony, an Aussie who lives in Bangkok. He came highly recommended by business associates and provided a very good tour. Private car, we could stop any place we wanted to and stay as long as we wanted. 3 days, 2 nights on a floating resort with everything including food except the extra photos at Tiger Temple and extra long elephant ride-18,000 baht-about $525.00 for two of us. Certainly a lot cheaper than staying in Bangkok and a truly great experience.

tours@tigertemplethailand.com-email

+66-81308-2300-Phone

Edited by greatam

I feel pretty good about it. I am just really glad I stayed with this cruise. The death railway, museum, temple, I can skip. This itinerary was just designed based on ideas of things I wanted to see. Even the elephant show wouldn't be on my list unless it is part of the plan already.

Be sure if you get quotes, be sure to get a number of them. I was surprised at the difference in itineraries and prices.. especially for Vietnam.

Of course I am the one who took the Christmas cruise out of Santiago despite numerous warnings about it being a zoo, and it is my favorite cruise of all time.

Edited by Coastaljen

I feel pretty good about it. I am just really glad I stayed with this cruise. The death railway, museum, temple, I can skip. This itinerary was just designed based on ideas of things I wanted to see. Even the elephant show wouldn't be on my list unless it is part of the plan already.

Be sure if you get quotes, be sure to get a number of them. I was surprised at the difference in itineraries and prices.. especially for Vietnam.

Of course I am the one who took the Christmas cruise out of Santiago despite numerous warnings about it being a zoo, and it is my favorite cruise of all time.

Thanks all, I googled and came up with a bunch and dropped them all email with my specific wants. ;)

If you go to Vietnam, be sure to get a quote from Smile Tours. I received quotes from a number of cc recommended groups, Smile Tours had a much better itinerary. Also, I received it in seven hours.. even though I could tell it was specific to my requests. Our ship is there a total of six days, so I wanted to make sure I saw as much as possible. Thi gave me additional ideas and told me why I would or wouldn't want to do them. I am actually dying to get to Vietnam now.

Edited by Coastaljen

Chipmaster,

I double checked with our tour company.

We are not going to Saiyok Elephant Park. (yeah!)

The elephant ride is 45 minutes, and we definitely get wet. There are clips of it on a facebook account.

Also, the temple has changed since March. Only about 50% of the people visiting there were wanting to pay another 1000BAHT to have a pic with a tiger's head in their lap. (I wouldn't pay for that myself.) After reading this thread, I talked to the couple joining me, and they said they didn't want a bunch of pics with the tigers, but I asked Bangkok Day Tours about it anyway.

The nice thing about any private tour company is that you can move at your own pace. There are only five of us so we won't have to worry what the other 75 passengers (if we had a bus from the ship) want to see or have to stop for huge restroom stops all the time. :-)

It actually looks like the six days in Vietnam will just be three of us because nobody on the roll call wants the itinerary... bicycling through the countryside, etc.

Edited by Coastaljen

If you go to Vietnam, be sure to get a quote from Smile Tours. I received quotes from a number of cc recommended groups, Smile Tours had a much better itinerary. Also, I received it in seven hours.. even though I could tell it was specific to my requests. Our ship is there a total of six days, so I wanted to make sure I saw as much as possible. Thi gave me additional ideas and told me why I would or wouldn't want to do them. I am actually dying to get to Vietnam now.

You will enjoy Vietnam! What are you planning on doing? Would be interested to see your itinerary because we would like to go back one day. :)Hoi An is lovely and there is a good tailor there if you are there long enough called A. Dong Silk in Le Loi Street. We enjoyed the Forbidden Purple city in Hue and a cruise along the Perfume River. Loved Hanoi and be careful of crossing roads in Saigon. Traffic is Saigon is ten times faster and more crowded than Hanoi and crossing the road becomes an art! Enjoy!

Here is the plan. The company was highly recommended to me by a ccer. I am really excited. Thi has promptly emailed me and explained whenever she had a suggestion.

Day 1: 30 Dec, 2009: My Tho tour in the Mekong Delta

11:00 Pick up the guests inside the Pier at Tan Thuan 2 port in HCMC to transfer to My Tho city in the Mekong Delta.

12:30 Arrival in My Tho located on the Upper branch of the Mekong river. Enjoy lunch with local specialties (Deep Fried Elephant ear fish and big legged prawns) (exclusive).

14:00 Get on a private boat and cruise through the river and small canals, visit local family workshops of making coconut candies and fruit orchards to see how the local people live.

17:00 Back to HCMC

18:30 Enjoy the unique water puppet show for 1 hour

20:00 Back to the cruise

Overnight on the cruise mooring at Tan Thuan 2 port

Day 2: 31 Dec, 2009: HCMC Tour

08:00 Meet our guide at the pier and start to enjoy city tour in HCMC, a dynamic and charming city in Southern Vietnam, with visits to China town, the Big market (Cho Lon) and Thien Hau temple (Sea Goddess temple)

10:00 Continue city tour with visits to the Reunification Palace, the Hundred Years Red Cathedral (Notre Dame Cathedral), the Old Post Office, the Opera House, the People’s Committee Hall, Rex hotel in the city center.

11:30 Have lunch at the Pho 2000 noodle soup restaurant where Bill Clinton had his “PHO” noodle in 2000.

13:00 Finally “shop till you drop” at the Ben Thanh market.

15:00 Transfer back to the port

15:30 Drop off at the pier

Overnight on the cruise

Day 3: 2 Jan, 2010: Tien Sa port in Danang – Tour to Hue

07:30 Pick-up from the Tien Sa port in Danang, transfer to Hue, the last Royal city of Vietnam, a World Cultural Heritage site since 1993

10:00 Explore the interesting cultures through the architecture of the two most outstanding tombs of King Tu Duc and King Khai Dinh, visit the Thien Mu Pagoda – the symbol of Hue, the Royal Forbidden Palace, and the interesting Dong Ba Market . Lunch with Hue specialties at a local restaurant (optional)

17:00 Transfer back to the port

19:00 Drop-off at the port

Day 4: 3 Jan, 2010: Tien Sa port in Danang – Tour to Hoian

07:30 Pick-up from inside Tien Sa port, transfer to HOI AN, the pleasant ancient town of Vietnam, a World Cultural Heritage site since 1999.

9:00 Arrival in Hoian. Enjoy pleasant city walk to the Hoian history museum, Fujien Chinese temple, Tan Ky ancient house, the famous Japanese pagoda bridge, Hoi An Market and great shopping

12:00 Enjoy lunch of local specialties (“cao lau” noodle, fried wontons, white roses etc.) at Cargo Bar (exclusive).

Then enjoy more shopping in Hoian

15:00 Transfer back to the port, visit the traditional stone carving village at the bottom of the Marble Mountains (not climbing up the mountains) on the way.

17:00 Drop-off at the Chan May port

Overnight on the cruise

Day 5: 4 Jan 2010: Halong Bay Cruise Tour – Overnight in Hanoi

13:30 Pick-up from inside Cai Lan port in Halong and transfer to Halong harbour for a private cruise in the beautiful bay

14:00 Start the cruise around the bay for 4 hours, visiting Thien Cung grotto, admiring the gorgeous scenery, enjoying beautiful seafood dinner on boat

18:00 Return to the harbor and transfer on to Hanoi (3 hours)

21:00 Check in Hoa Binh Palace boutique hotel in the Old Quarter and free time on your own

Overnight in Hanoi

Day 6: 5 Jan 2010 : Cycling tour in Duong Lam ancient village and Tour of Highlights Of Hanoi –

Back to the ship

8:00 check out the hotel and transfer to Duong Lam ancient village

9:00 start visiting this interesting traditional village. Visit some ancient houses of the local people to learn how they live there generation after generation. Then cycle around the village, seeing rice fields, lotus ponds, vegetable gardens, visiting Mia pagoda (Sugar cane pagoda), Ngo Quyen temple, black smith’s, carpenter’s, sweet makers’ house, etc. The whole tour takes a bout 2 hours including cycling and sightseeing. The longest distance is about 2km on flat land and good village roads.

11:00 Transfer back to Hanoi

12:00 Enjoylunch with local specialties

13:00 enjoy a fantastic rickshaw ride through the Old Quarter of 36 guilds streets of Hanoi

14:00 Visit the Temple of Literature (The 1st University of Vietnam) (30 minutes).

15:30 Visit the beautiful cultural Ethnology Museum

16:30 Transfer back to the ship in Halong. Stop at Hong Ngoc handicraft shopping center on the way

20:00 Drop off at the pier of Halong harbour

Here is the plan. The company was highly recommended to me by a ccer. I am really excited. Thi has promptly emailed me and explained whenever she had a suggestion.

Day 1: 30 Dec, 2009: My Tho tour in the Mekong Delta

11:00 Pick up the guests inside the Pier at Tan Thuan 2 port in HCMC to transfer to My Tho city in the Mekong Delta.

12:30 Arrival in My Tho located on the Upper branch of the Mekong river. Enjoy lunch with local specialties (Deep Fried Elephant ear fish and big legged prawns)(exclusive).

14:00 Get on a private boat and cruise through the river and small canals, visit local family workshops of making coconut candies and fruit orchards to see how the local people live.

17:00 Back to HCMC

18:30 Enjoy the unique water puppet show for 1 hour

20:00 Back to the cruise

Overnight on the cruise mooring at Tan Thuan 2 port

Day 2: 31 Dec, 2009: HCMC Tour

08:00 Meet our guide at the pier and start to enjoy city tour in HCMC, a dynamic and charming city in Southern Vietnam, with visits to China town, the Big market (Cho Lon) and Thien Hau temple (Sea Goddess temple)

10:00 Continue city tour with visits to the Reunification Palace, the Hundred Years Red Cathedral (Notre Dame Cathedral), the Old Post Office, the Opera House, the People’s Committee Hall, Rex hotel in the city center.

11:30 Have lunch at the Pho 2000 noodle soup restaurant where Bill Clinton had his “PHO” noodle in 2000.

13:00 Finally “shop till you drop” at the Ben Thanh market.

15:00 Transfer back to the port

15:30 Drop off at the pier

Overnight on the cruise

Day 3: 2 Jan, 2010: Tien Sa port in Danang – Tour to Hue

07:30 Pick-up from the Tien Sa port in Danang, transfer to Hue, the last Royal city of Vietnam, a World Cultural Heritage site since 1993

10:00 Explore the interesting cultures through the architecture of the two most outstanding tombs of King Tu Duc and King Khai Dinh, visit the Thien Mu Pagoda – the symbol of Hue, the Royal Forbidden Palace, and the interesting Dong Ba Market . Lunch with Hue specialties at a local restaurant (optional)

17:00 Transfer back to the port

19:00 Drop-off at the port

Day 4: 3 Jan, 2010: Tien Sa port in Danang – Tour to Hoian

07:30 Pick-up from inside Tien Sa port, transfer to HOI AN, the pleasant ancient town of Vietnam, a World Cultural Heritage site since 1999.

9:00 Arrival in Hoian. Enjoy pleasant city walk to the Hoian history museum, Fujien Chinese temple, Tan Ky ancient house, the famous Japanese pagoda bridge, Hoi An Market and great shopping

12:00 Enjoy lunch of local specialties (“cao lau” noodle, fried wontons, white roses etc.) at Cargo Bar (exclusive).

Then enjoy more shopping in Hoian

15:00 Transfer back to the port, visit the traditional stone carving village at the bottom of the Marble Mountains (not climbing up the mountains) on the way.

17:00 Drop-off at the Chan May port

Overnight on the cruise

Day 5: 4 Jan2010: Halong Bay Cruise Tour – Overnight in Hanoi

13:30 Pick-up from inside Cai Lan port in Halong and transfer to Halong harbour for a private cruise in the beautiful bay

14:00 Start the cruise around the bay for 4 hours, visiting Thien Cung grotto, admiring the gorgeous scenery, enjoying beautiful seafood dinner on boat

18:00 Return to the harbor and transfer on to Hanoi (3 hours)

21:00 Check in Hoa Binh Palace boutique hotel in the Old Quarter and free time on your own

Overnight in Hanoi

Day 6: 5 Jan 2010 : Cycling tour in Duong Lam ancient village and Tour of Highlights Of Hanoi –

Back to the ship

8:00 check out the hotel and transfer to Duong Lam ancient village

9:00 start visiting this interesting traditional village. Visit some ancient houses of the local people to learn how they live there generation after generation. Then cycle around the village, seeing rice fields, lotus ponds, vegetable gardens, visiting Mia pagoda (Sugar cane pagoda), Ngo Quyen temple, black smith’s, carpenter’s, sweet makers’ house, etc. The whole tour takes a bout 2 hours including cycling and sightseeing. The longest distance is about 2km on flat land and good village roads.

11:00 Transfer back to Hanoi

12:00 Enjoylunch with local specialties

13:00 enjoy a fantastic rickshaw ride through the Old Quarter of 36 guilds streets of Hanoi

14:00 Visit the Temple of Literature (The 1st University of Vietnam) (30 minutes).

15:30 Visit the beautiful cultural Ethnology Museum

16:30 Transfer back to the ship in Halong. Stop at Hong Ngoc handicraft shopping center on the way

20:00 Drop off at the pier of Halong harbour

Looks good and busy! You can get things made in Hoi An and they will post them back if you are interested. Lots of tailors there but we found that A. Dong Silk was good quality and reasonably priced. They made up a suit for my husband in 24 hours. Fantastic quality and silk lined.

Ben Thanh Markets are full of things of all shapes and sizes. Very interesting. Remember to bargain with a smile. You may need to hold on to your wallet. They take US dollars which is easier to use than the dong.

We loved the Mekong Delta trip which was very interesting. A friend did the cycle section from Hanoi and although very fit found it hot though interesting. Remember to buy bottled water to take with you and check the seals. Vietnamese food is very tasty.

The Temple of Lierature in Hanoi is lovely. A rickshaw ride in the Old Quarter is nice but you really would like to just walk around and look at the different shops. You could spend several hours there. The French bread in Hanoi is yum! The handicraft centre on the way to Halong Bay is interesting with lots of beautiful silk embroidery paintings. The cruise through Halong Bay is beautiful! you will enjoy that.

Remember to pack the little bottles of Purex handcleaner and take tissues with you. Be prepared to squat when the call of nature calls in some places so dress appropriately. It is a skill you will easily develop.;)

Yes, I am very pumped about the itinerary. I can't wait for the bicycling. They said January should be wonderful. If it does rain, I will be prepared. :)

I have heard great things about the tailors, but I never dress up, so it probably wouldn't get much wear.

Edited by Coastaljen

• 2 weeks later...

Greatam,

Great Photos!

I am also looking for a day tour to Kanchanaburi Province in February. I have been there before as I lived and worked in Thailand in the early 90's. I have been to the River Kwai and to the Death Raiway museum, etc., but never to the Tiger Temple or for an Elephant ride (May not have been available then plus someone from America -I think working with Teach America - was trampled to death by an elephant a month earlier so I wasn't looking to get on an elephant at the time).

Anyway, my DH hates museums but is interested in the tigers. He will be interested in the elephants too. Our ship is docked the day before and doesn't leave until the next day so we will have a full day. What I wanted to know is the schedule/location of the railway as we like trains. Is there anyway to ride the railway and visit the tigers and elephants in one day? I understand they are near each other. Of course if I get others to join us they will probab want to go to the museum. Btw, we will be docked at Klong Toey if that makes a difference, and of course could leave early at 7:00am etc. As always, thanks.

Edited by Jade13

I just booked tours in Bangkok for two days with Bangkok Day Tours.

Departs: 07:00

07:00 Pick up dockside Klong Toey Port

We'll be waiting for you when you get off the ship. Your guide will have a sign with your name on it. Please don't be late or we'll miss the floating market.

08:30 Floating Market Damnoen Saduak

You can take the boat on the canal through the floating market. Please keep your hands inside the boat as there are many boats and we don't want you to jam your fingers.

11:30 Lunch in a Thai Restaurant

We'll have an early lunch in a Thai restaurant so that we are at the Tiger Temple when they open the gates.

12:30 Tiger Temple Wat Pha Luang

We'll get you to the Tiger Temple nice and early so you'll have maximum time there. They'll bring out the younger tigers first and then lead the adult tigers down to the canyon for their afternoon swim and play.

15:00 Elephant Riding & Bathing

The elephant camp is not far from the Tiger temple and here you'll be able to experience the unique sway of an elephant ride. After, you can bathe it in the clear waters of the Kwai river.

16:45 Bridge over the River Kwai

We'll stop at the bridge on the way back to Bangkok. You'll have time to walk on the bridge and take some photos.

17:15 Depart for Bangkok

You can relax in air conditioned comfort while the driver returns you to your hotel in Bangkok.

18:30 Arrive back at the ship

You can expect to be back at the ship by 7:30pm

I have read really good reviews on this board about the company. We did put down 4,000 BAHT deposit per day. However, I am putting 30% of the Vietnam tour down ahead of time also.

Does the tiger temple not open until 12:30pm? The only reason this looks like a crammed schedule (per Greatam) is that it sounds like the Tiger Temple does not open until 12:30pm so a canal boat ride and lunch is prior.

I am curious as to the train route/length as I haven't heard any reports from anyone who has ridden on the railway.

My only other question has to do with payment. So far on every cruise we have been on we have paid cash that day for any day tours. Whenever anyone has requested credit card payment it has not been charged until that day either (The only time we have used a credit card is for non-cruise destinations such as Belize or Costa Rica).

Edited by Jade13

I would ask bangkokdaytours about the Tiger Temple time, etc. Dennis is great about answering questions. My main desire was the 45 min. elephant ride, bathing the elephant, etc.

I have given credit card info in New Zealand before for tours. Normally I don't do it, but I know a number did pay for tours on the transatlantic this Fall ahead of time. I felt fine with paying Bangkokdaytours a deposit and the tour company in Vietnam. The amount was not huge, and both have been in business (and very positively reviewed).

You can always write to them and ask your questions and decide for yourself if they are giving you what you want for your time there.

I would ask bangkokdaytours about the Tiger Temple time, etc. Dennis is great about answering questions. My main desire was the 45 min. elephant ride, bathing the elephant, etc.

I have given credit card info in New Zealand before for tours. Normally I don't do it, but I know a number did pay for tours on the transatlantic this Fall ahead of time. I felt fine with paying Bangkokdaytours a deposit and the tour company in Vietnam. The amount was not huge, and both have been in business (and very positively reviewed).

You can always write to them and ask your questions and decide for yourself if they are giving you what you want for your time there.

Is this a private tour or do you have other from Cruise Critic? The issue with pre-payment also has to do with a group tour. I have arranged private day tours for anywhere from 3-13 participants. All were pay at the end of the tour (in Malta they wanted money before the tour started and we were fine with that). We paid a flat fee for a min-van or mini-bus and always knew it would slightly more per person if one couple did not show up.

I added on two couples from cruise critic roll call to the Thailand tour. Originally there were just three of us, so the owner set up secure website links so that the couple and I could pay half the deposit (I thought we should each pay 50% of the deposit) each. Then we added the other couple. We are just going to subtract the deposit that the one woman and I paid from the amount we owe that day.

For Vietnam, I found two couples to join me on a six day tour. We split the deposit three ways (including the bank fee for the wiring). I then wired the money to the company, and the other two couples sent me checks for their third. It was only about $100usd per person, and I would not have been willing to pay it all ahead of time.

I did charter a boat which holds 54 in Stavanger for the September cruise. It was about $l,800usd. I took the first 39 other people that wanted to join on the roll call, and they each sent me a check. I also kept a waiting list (which was never needed). The checks from roll call members in Australia and Canada were still sent to me usd. I then called the company in Norway and put the boat on my credit card. If I remember correctly, it ended up being approximately 45 usd, and Princess charges $ll9usd with the same company for the fjord tour on a MUCH larger boat. Therefore, I think we really got a deal. That was entirely paid in full ahead of time. It really wasn't due until the end of August, but I wanted it to be taken care of ahead of time, and the others agreed with me. They sent me a receipt, etc. The biggest risk was probably the others trusting what I would do with their check. However, nobody seemed to have a problem, and I was active on the roll call.

I like to create private tours and get others to join me. Yes, there is a risk when you pay ahead, but I try to be careful of which companies I do that with, and I haven't done it much except NZ a couple of years ago. Also, except for the chartered boat, they normally only get a small part of the total amount ahead of time. We had the opportunity to pay in full for the Bangkok tour, but I opted for just a deposit. Also, I always go on cc and make sure there haven't been scams reported for these companies by others on this board.

Edited by Coastaljen

Hi,

We are planning a cruise on the Super Starship Virgo in early October, but will be visiting Thailand first including Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Micruiser202 :confused: advised us in April that you were using Oriental Escapes on your cruise and we wondered how you went. What tours did you end up doing? Thanks.:)

Hi, we have just booked on Virgo out of Singapore on 18th October. What dates are you travelling? We have been looking to see if there is a "meet and mingle" for Star Cruises but there doesn't seem to be anything on this board.

Diane

Hi, we have just booked on Virgo out of Singapore on 18th October. What dates are you travelling? We have been looking to see if there is a "meet and mingle" for Star Cruises but there doesn't seem to be anything on this board.

Diane

Hi Diane,

Not sure if the Virgo has a meet and greet. We are on a cruise a fortnight earlier than you will be. Have been on the Virgo 5 years ago and there were not that many Australians on board like on the Gemini which often has special deals from Perth. Having said that, it was an interesting cruise with lots of different cultures on board. Read the ship newsletter for activities and you may meet people that way or when you walk along the deck. From memory ,the Bella Vista was a great place to have dinner and I remember doing yoga on deck in the early mornings. Looking forward to seeing if these things are still the same. Cheers. Trish :)

• 5 weeks later...
About 2-3 hours each way from Bangkok. Yes-you can design your own tour. For this trip, I used Tony, an Aussie who lives in Bangkok. He came highly recommended by business associates and provided a very good tour. Private car, we could stop any place we wanted to and stay as long as we wanted. 3 days, 2 nights on a floating resort with everything including food except the extra photos at Tiger Temple and extra long elephant ride-18,000 baht-about $525.00 for two of us. Certainly a lot cheaper than staying in Bangkok and a truly great experience.

tours@tigertemplethailand.com-email

+66-81308-2300-Phone

Greatam, I emailed him for one full day and breakfast with the monks and this is about what we were quoted for the one full day (from Bangkok), He wants approx $880.00 for a group of four for the day plus we have to pay extra for food for the monks, train (no big deal at 100Baht) or 300 Baht pp extra for the rafting. You are saying you paid this much for 3 days, 2 nights including the resort, food, rafting etc? We were told the monks would take our picture for this price.

Was this in 2009?

Edited by Jade13

Greatam, I emailed him for one full day and breakfast with the monks and this is about what we were quoted for the one full day (from Bangkok), He wants approx $880.00 for a group of four for the day plus we have to pay extra for food for the monks, train (no big deal at 100Baht) or 300 Baht pp extra for the rafting. You are saying you paid this much for 3 days, 2 nights including the resort, food, rafting etc? We were told the monks would take our picture for this price.

Was this in 2009?

Yes-late March 2009, when I was waiting in Bangkok for my business visa for Vietnam to be approved.

One big thing-he will have to hire a car with special permits to get into the port. Those permits are few and far between and it gets costly to get a permitted car. When I went into the port for business the previous day, I paid about $40 MORE just for the car with permits that could wait INSIDE the port for me. Taxis/car and drivers are cheap otherwise.

You are paying a premium (about 5000 baht pp-I handed the guide 11,000 baht, she took care of paying the monks, getting the food for breakfast and gave me back a small amount) to spend the time in tiger temple BEFORE the tourists get there (noonish). You will get breakfast with the monks, go to wash the tigers, play with the cubs (feed them, etc) and get lots of pictures.

We paid the additional money directly to the monks through the guide BECAUSE we weren't sure if we would make it in time to do the breakfast and go shopping for food. But as it was, I got confirmation of my visa application arriving in Vietnam via email instead of Fed Ex and were able to leave the hotel by 5:30AM, not 10AM like I had originally thought.

Price was 18,000 baht for three days for two, with two nights hotels on River Raft, with dinner every night, one lunch and IIRC, one or two breakfast buffets. We paid extra for the longer elephant ride, breakfast with the monks and the extra photos in tiger canyon.

If you want to save a few dollars, you can always forget breakfast with the monks (not that special, but the extra time with the tigers was worth it to me. DH was bored) and do the death railway, River Kwai and maybe even Hellfire Pass (although that would be pushing it a lot) BEFORE you go to Tiger Temple at noon. Then you can go elephant riding and go back to the ship. Don't forget-it will be getting dark by 6:30 is, so 3 hours at Tiger Temple and elephant riding puts you almost in the dark. River rafting is probably out PLUS everyone wears their bathing suits or shorts or something because you get WET and you can't wear shorts or tank tops to Tiger Temple.

You have to decide whether you want to spend the extra money, get to Tiger Temple EARLY, then do everything on the itinerary or save the money. But whatever you decide to do, enjoy it.

Yes-late March 2009, when I was waiting in Bangkok for my business visa for Vietnam to be approved.

One big thing-he will have to hire a car with special permits to get into the port. Those permits are few and far between and it gets costly to get a permitted car. When I went into the port for business the previous day, I paid about $40 MORE just for the car with permits that could wait INSIDE the port for me. Taxis/car and drivers are cheap otherwise.

You are paying a premium (about 5000 baht pp-I handed the guide 11,000 baht, she took care of paying the monks, getting the food for breakfast and gave me back a small amount) to spend the time in tiger temple BEFORE the tourists get there (noonish). You will get breakfast with the monks, go to wash the tigers, play with the cubs (feed them, etc) and get lots of pictures.

We paid the additional money directly to the monks through the guide BECAUSE we weren't sure if we would make it in time to do the breakfast and go shopping for food. But as it was, I got confirmation of my visa application arriving in Vietnam via email instead of Fed Ex and were able to leave the hotel by 5:30AM, not 10AM like I had originally thought.

Price was 18,000 baht for three days for two, with two nights hotels on River Raft, with dinner every night, one lunch and IIRC, one or two breakfast buffets. We paid extra for the longer elephant ride, breakfast with the monks and the extra photos in tiger canyon.

If you want to save a few dollars, you can always forget breakfast with the monks (not that special, but the extra time with the tigers was worth it to me. DH was bored) and do the death railway, River Kwai and maybe even Hellfire Pass (although that would be pushing it a lot) BEFORE you go to Tiger Temple at noon. Then you can go elephant riding and go back to the ship. Don't forget-it will be getting dark by 6:30 is, so 3 hours at Tiger Temple and elephant riding puts you almost in the dark. River rafting is probably out PLUS everyone wears their bathing suits or shorts or something because you get WET and you can't wear shorts or tank tops to Tiger Temple.

You have to decide whether you want to spend the extra money, get to Tiger Temple EARLY, then do everything on the itinerary or save the money. But whatever you decide to do, enjoy it.

So you paid 18,000 plus 11,000 to go to the temple early? Did you have lunch at the Vets house? I like this itinerary because you are done with the tigers by 11:30am and before the crowds show up.

I worked in Bangkok in the early 90's and have been to Kanchanaburi but not to see the tigers. My Dh would not be bored with the tigers. I also want to know when the train goes by and whether is goes over the bridge etc. because I always wanted to ride on the train. Thanks for the info on the river rafting. Dh was interested but I think he was thinking of white water rafting (did that in Bali and costa Rica and an easier trip in Iguassu). I had emailed Tony earlier because I wanted to know if they had a permit for the port. Both he and Bangkok Day tours say hotel pick-up.

Yes-late March 2009

Greatam,

I am in the process of confirming everything and Ken (runs Tonys business) tells me all photos are included at Tiger temple. I told him "my friend" was there in March for the morning session and still had to pay an additional 1,000 Baht (wasn't sure if that was total or for each) and he wanted me to ask you if you recall who your guide was that day? He said that the Morning session is suppose to include all photos (and I did mention the special photos in the Canyon). I don't like surprises. I told him I would ask who your guide was.

He is really good about customizing our tour with pick-up included at the port, leaving Kanchanburi at 3:30pm and two drop offs if I find others to join, at the City Pier and at the port. It will cost an additional 500 Baht for a driver to pick us up at city pier at 10:00pm (although the cruises I am looking at are 2 hours with arrival back at 9:30pm) and back to the port.

Thanks.

Edited by Jade13