NYC-Family of 6- help, please!

teachnh

We are sailing on NCL's Breakaway on 4/26. We originally were going to drive down the day of the cruise but just found out our son has a soccer game in CT the day before the cruise. So, now I am trying to figure out where is the best place to stay with 2 adults, 4 kids and our minivan. And we leave in under three weeks!

We have no preference where we stay, just reasonably close to the pier and something that isn't overly expensive.

Thanks for any advice!

Define what "isn't overly expensive" means to you.

It may be a challenge to find someplace that can accommodate all of you in one room.

The Travel Inn and the Skyline have inexpensive parking.

Radio City Apartments have larger suites and are relatively close to the pier.

The Beacon on the Upper West Side is popular with families.

6 people is tough. I'm assuming you are going to park at the pier. If so you should look at Marriott properties near Rye, Greenwich, and Stamford like the Courtyard Rye which I stayed in Sat night. It's an easy drive to the pier on a Sun morning.

We would be ok with two rooms for one night. I'm hoping we can keep the two rooms or one big one around $400 or less. Not sure if we can. I will check out the suggestions so far, thanks!

Two rooms in Manhattan for $400 on 4/25 is fantasyland. In addition you will drop at least $50 to park.

Seriously, look at two rooms in the Greenwich/Stamford area. Hotwire has some good deals in the $100 range. We Hotwire in Stamford all the time and stayed this past Sat at the Rye Courtyard.

Here are the driving directions for the cars only route to the pier from the Rye/Greenwich/Stamford area. On a Sunday morning it will take less than an hour and will be a very easy low traffic drive.

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 1 in CT. This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5 toll). The toll is worth every penny. If you don't have an EZ Pass, you will get billed in the mail for this toll - PAY IT!

Stay on the Henry Hudson all the way to the Manhattan Cruiseport. This route has virtually no local street driving in NYC at all!

Seriously, look at two rooms in the Greenwich/Stamford area. Hotwire has some good deals in the $100 range. We Hotwire in Stamford all the time and stayed this past Sat at the Rye

Thanks, that is what we will probably end up doing. Like I said, we don't care where we are the night before but would like it to be easy for Sunday. Thanks for the directions too! :)