Frankfurt to Dulles will we have time?

cgoingmom

:o Hi, this is our first trip to Europe and we are flying home on Luftansa from Frankfurt to Dulles. We have 1hr 40 mins to get our luggage, go through customs and get on our United flight from Dulles to LAX. I have never been to Dulles and don't know what size airport we are dealing with. We also have my 90 year old mother in law with us. She can walk but running is out of the question. Do you think we will make it? I would appreciate any information. Thank you.

:o Hi, this is our first trip to Europe and we are flying home on Luftansa from Frankfurt to Dulles. We have 1hr 40 mins to get our luggage, go through customs and get on our United flight from Dulles to LAX. I have never been to Dulles and don't know what size airport we are dealing with. We also have my 90 year old mother in law with us. She can walk but running is out of the question. Do you think we will make it? I would appreciate any information. Thank you.

No,unless they keep you out at the terminal for your connection(then you have to see what terminal you will fly out of and that can be lengthy walking as the terminals are not part of the main terminal where one would check-in),and have some sort of special line for those connecting.Also,I would request a wheelchair for your MIL to meet you at the gate.I would call the airline on this ASAP.When you deplance at Dulles you follow the crowd to immigration which can be long depending on the flts coming in,then you have to get your luggage and they are not swift by any means,then the customs,and then I assume recheck you baggage there and then get to the gate for your connectiong flt.I fly in and out of Dulles,and I know this procedure,but I end my trip there so am not sure about connections.I am guessing that they must have some sort of swifter procedure for connections and possibly you can do it,but with your MIL it may take longer.Do call United and see what they say,and maybe someone will have a clearer reply for you.

It can be done. Whether it will is another issue. I personally want at least 2 hours inbound into the USA - all you need are long lines or agents doing more rigorous questioning and you'll be there for a while. Plus, you never know when you will be pulled aside for a full luggage inspection.

Check with UA - worst comes to worse, look into routing through ORD or even JFK to get to LAX if there are no non-stops from IAD with longer connections.

It can be done. Whether it will is another issue. I personally want at least 2 hours inbound into the USA - all you need are long lines or agents doing more rigorous questioning and you'll be there for a while. Plus, you never know when you will be pulled aside for a full luggage inspection.

Check with UA - worst comes to worse, look into routing through ORD or even JFK to get to LAX if there are no non-stops from IAD with longer connections.

Just what I said...except for the last part:)

I just wanted to say something re the agents AND the long lines that were bad enough.I flew home from London with a female friend as she had never traveled before outside the US,and as we went through the passport line they asked her what she did..she said she ran a contruction business which she did do.Well,he kept her there for at least 20 minutes and then they asked her the same questions when she went through customs.It took us forever to get out of there,and this was before 9/11.Getting through Dulles can be very painful.Sorry,just had to add this.

Archived