Can someone suggest Restaurants for Lunch in Antigua please

Ruth

Can someone suggest Restaurants for Lunch in Antigua please. We will only be there for the day. As we will be coming into port by cruise ship. We plan to take the bus into Antigua and do our own tour through the city, but need suggestions for lunch please.

Anyone who has been here that can suggest restaurants it would truly be appreciated. It will be my DH birthday while we are there. Wanted it to be special, fun, good food & of course a nice atmosphere. Thanks!

We spent a great day in Antigua last April. There were a number of interesting cafes, so finding a lovely place for lunch should be easy. We enjoyed a wonderful lunch at the Casa Santo Domingo hotel. The hotel itself incorporates the ruins of a former convent, and has several small museums on the property.

Two years ago we spent a week in Antigua (using a time-share swap). Each day we tried a different restaurant. Our top two suggestions: El Sereno (had a great roof-top view of the volcano) and Welton (no view, but featured an inner courtyard with a small pool strewn with rose petals). Food in both was fabulous.

I haven't ever done a cruise which stops in Guatemala, but my husband is Guatemalan and we've spent quite a bit of time there.

The suggestion to eat at Cafe Condesa is a great one! Wonderful food, and perfect location for exploring the town square.

However, Casa Santo Domingo is such a treat! It is a piece of history in addition to a wonderful meal. Prices can be quite steep, but it's a lovely place to spend a couple of hours! Magical!

Meson Panza Verde (http://www.panzaverde.com/restaurant/) is another favorite of mine, although not as centrally located as somewhere like Cafe Condesa.

If you'd like to try some very traditional Guatemalan food (in a beautiful setting), I'd recommend La Fonda de la Calle Real. There are a couple of them on the main road leading to the Arch. Wonderful food! http://www.aroundantigua.com/dining/fonda-de-la-calle-real.htm

I'm not sure how much time you have, but if you can visit Finca Filadelphia, it is a working coffee farm with a small cafe. They give tours and do a coffee tasting too. We had a wonderful afternoon there!

Enjoy!

Heidi

Archived