A Reluctant Cruiser Crosses Over

sarafinadh

A number of years ago I was a reluctant cruiser facing a cruise for the first time. I used the information I gathered here, as well as at other sites, to educate myself about how cruising worked and how the Alaskan cruise we were going to be taking in particular would be. The guidance I received here was invaluable and made it possible to plan the best possible trip for my family. At the end of that trip I concluded that cruising was not for me, and I would not ever care to set foot on board one of these floating mini Las Vegas behemoths again.

For all sorts of reasons I wound up booking a crossing on the Queen Mary 2 and again I turned to the experienced community here to bone up on what I needed to know before we sailed.

And now I can say that this reluctant cruiser not only crossed the Atlantic, but crossed over to being a Cunardista.

I feel quite confident that the multi port island hopping cruising vacations are not going to ever be my cuppa, but a crossing on one of the Cunard ladies? As a stress reducing time change managing lead into traveling? You bet. If I had my way and endless resources I would take the ship there and back everytime I went to Europe. As it is I think we will just sail over and then fly back.

We arrived in England refreshed and on the right time, ready to really enjoy our travels in Europe.

The food was about as expected, and we did wind up eating in TE for the week. Even if the menu was a bit limited for that many nights dining, Louis and his staff were such a pleasure each evening and took such good care of us it was more than worth it to us. Being able to dine when we wanted was a bonus as well. We would have paid gobs more to sail up a class to Britannia Club and would have still been eating from the same kitchen, off of tables that are elbow to elbow with other diners.

The lectures were excellent quality and we both enjoyed them. The dancing in the Queens Room was wonderful. Tea was a nice middle of the day break. Our stateroom was comfortable and in good condition. For the most part staff provided excellent service all over the ship.

For the most part our fellow passengers were a pleasure to meet. We had a really wonderful group in the Commanders Club the first sea day and it was fun meeting all the CC Cunardists in person.

Over all it was a relaxing enjoyable 8 days. Halifax was a pleasant break on the third day but we would have been just as happy to have had a 7 day passage and no port day.

Himself surprised me with a wedding. We had never had a vow ceremony, just the legal business ten years ago, and I was totally surprised and touched and delighted once I figured out I was NOT the (first) guest at a cocktail party being held by the captain, but was a bride instead. Cunard pulled off the surprise and the ceremony and a little reception following with all the charm and appeal you could ask for.

What a pleasant surprise it was; not only did I not dislike it, I actually loved it so much I would do it again!

So, a Reluctant Cruiser, perhaps, but not a reluctant Cunardist. I have Crossed over!

Thanks to all here who helped me before hand, we took excellent advantage of the inside info to maximize our trip!

You are a gifted storyteller. Thank you for sharing your tale of crossing over to the Cunard side. And a special toast to your groom for pulling off such a thoughtful and memorable surprise!

As food for for thought, we've crossed twice with Cunard (and twice on other lines), always associated with European land travels, and for us, we tend to prefer the post-land travel westbound crossing because it truly affords that "vacation to recover from from my vacation" that one often wishes for. But I agree, eastbound is nice for North Americans because you can hit the ground running when you disembark.

Happy future crossings, Cunardista!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Sara ~

What a delightful story.

Your attitude toward typical "cruising" matches ours exactly. When you say "I would not ever care to set foot on board one of these floating mini Las Vegas behemoths again," you could have been quoting me.;)

And now you know that crossing the Atlantic on board a Cunarder is an entirely different experience that has little, if anything, to do with "cruising."

(For years, Mrs Post Captain and I have struggled to explain the difference between cruising and crossing to various friends and relations and anyone else who would care to listen... often without success. It's a pleasure to read a post from a first-timer who really gets it.)

Now you should really treat yourself to The Only Way to Cross, John Maxtone-Graham's classic book on the history of the North Atlantic crossing and the great liners that plied this route.

Congratulations, and welcome aboard!:)

Loved your story and I must admit I feel the same way about the giant ships.

We are booked on our first Cunard transatlantic crossing next year so I do hope we enjoy our crossing as much as you did.

Love the wedding story, Congratulations to you both.

Susan

Loubetti,

As my daughter, the linguist, often reminds me; language is a living thing and it changes. You just didn't read down the page in the dictionary far enough!

Cu•nard

noun \ku-ˈnärd also -ˈnurd\

: An American based firm with British roots

Full Definition of CUNARD

a : a maritime company founded in Britain in the 19th century ; especially : a British Institution.

b : a British National Treasure now held in Corporate serfdom to an American Company

2 : a corporate branch of the worlds largest maritime passenger parent corporation; also : the jewel in the crown of Carnival Corporation

See Cunard defined for English-language learners » (Read; Americans, who haven’t spoken it for years)

Cu•nard•er

noun \ku-ˈnärd-ˈer also -ˈnurd-ˈer \

: A Ship in the Cunard fleet, an American based firm with British roots also: A passenger who has traveled with the Cunard fleet, an American based firm with British roots

Full Definition of CUNARDER

a : a large ocean going vessel belonging to the Cunard fleet; especially : a fleet of British influenced passenger ships

b : an enormous ship with distinctive black, red and white colouration and flagging

c : a ship named for and christen by a member of the British royal family

a : a customer, client, passenger or former passenger of Cunard

b : an individual with a predilection for the recreated ambiance of mid 20th century ocean travel

c : an addict in need of a fix

See Cunarder defined for English-language learners » (Read; Americans, who haven’t spoken it for years)

Cu•nard•is•ta

noun \ku-ˈnärd-ˈes-ˈta also -ˈnurd-ˈ es-ˈta

1 a female passenger of a Cunarder

2 a female partner, companion or spouse of a Cunarder (see Cunarder for disambiguation)

Full Definition of CUNARDISTA

a : a woman or girl who travels with Cunard

b : a female passenger of a Cunarder

c : a Cunarder who requires an extra piece of luggage to transport the shoes that accompany her wardrobe for dressing for all the evening events aboard the Cunarder she travels on

a : a spouse, wife, partner, girlfriend, companion of a Cunarder

b : an female Cunarder with a predilection for the recreated ambiance of mid 20th century ocean travel

c : an addict in need of a fix; both of a crossing with her Cunarder on a Cunarder, and a new pair of shoes

See Cunardista defined for English-language learners » (Read; Americans, who haven’t spoken it for years)

QE2Fan

We were on that Aug 27th sailing out of NY.

It was amazing, the weather was just perfect the whole way across. Warm enough for me to be in the pool briefly and then in the spa for the sail away, when I wasn't dancing on the deck ; -)

The stars at night were a blanket across the sky and the ocean was bright and clear with long intervals and small swells. There were a few whale sightings but I missed them.

We spent hours out by the Terrace Pool just lazing in the sunshine.

Loubetti

Please, Sandinistas wear re-tred sandals and espadrilles. Nothing like!! lol

Artemis,

If I had the resources I'd do both ways happily, but such is life. I am a wreck before a trip, chronic procrastinator you know. Since I have to choose I figure I can arrive home and collapse on my own dime until my body clock gets caught up and the laundry gets done ; -)

And to all, the "Crossing" is already on my reading list! Once that Mount Washmore is shrunk down to size a bit...