Spirit Tips and 9 Day comments

gallivanter

[font=Arial][size=3]We just returned from the 11/5/04 9 day Spirit Sailing . [/size][size=3]The trip was great, but then how can any cruise not be great. The nine days flew by! [/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=3]So many responded to my questions that I wanted to return the favor and put some comments and tips.[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=3] [/size][/font]

[b][size=3][font=Arial]Spirit Tips[/font][/size][/b]

[font=Arial][size=3](If you are on the 5 day cruise following the 9 day one they did not start embarcation till around 2:30.)[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=3]If you have a problem in your cabin don’t tell your room stewards, call the ships operator.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]You can ask that an additional 110v 500w adapter be placed in the 220v outlet next to your desk…. This is great for recharging computers, camera’s etc.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]You can ask the Internet Manager for an Ethernet connection to the wireless system from your room…. Make sure you bring your own long (15’) Ethernet cable.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]The Omelet station and the BBQ is outside on Raffles Terrace[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]While every hate chair huggers…. On sea days most poolside loungers were gone by 9:15… if you just leave a towel on the chair the staff will remove it and give it to someone else…. You must leave some personal items on the chair in addition to the towel and actually use the chair! We would only leave for breakfast which we would bring poolside or lunch.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]We had lunch at Windows upon embarkation but never again. Food was OK not great. Steaks were very good. This was the first cruise that I could not immediately find something I wanted in each of the dinner courses. The Lobster looked more like Giant Shrimp. [/size][/font]

[size=3][font=Arial]Most tables for 2 are gone immediately after the 5:30 seating…. Around 6PM I would go down to the restaurant and put our name down on the wait list for 6:40. [/font][/size]

[font=Arial][size=3]Service can be very slow… expect a minimum of 1 hour to an hour and 45 minutes for dinner. Only once was service really good. Staff says that the layout of the kitchen causes the slowdown. [/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]For the most part the entertainment never matched that of any of the other cruises that I have been on…. Lacking would be kind with 2 exceptions. The band 60280 that plays in the Galaxy of Stars and their second comedian Peter Sasso. It’s too bad because I am sure the entertainment department could at least find bands with singers that could actually sing. [/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]Don’t waste your time on the “Greased Lightning’ Production or as it turns out any of the production numbers, only 1 of their singers can sing.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]Crew Talent show is great![/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]The Band 60280 that plays in the Galaxy of Stars is the best band on the ship. Don’t miss their tributes especially the Beatles and Abba[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]Embarkation began at noon….. There is express debarkation if you can carry all your bags off the ship.[/size][/font]

[b][size=3][font=Arial]Ports of Call[/font][/size][/b]

[font=Arial][size=3]Thanks to Cruise Critics we did not take a single tour from the ship. Dealing with locals not only saved us $$$$ but we did what we want and were not part of a herd of tourists. Also being with a local person, we heard the real stories of the islands.[/size][/font]

[size=3][font=Arial]We recommend. [/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Arial]Charles Lollipop on Grenada…. $70 for up to 3 persons about 2 ½ tour that normally would take 4 hours and cost $50 per person. We went back to the ship for lunch then, later in the afternoon for $20 he took us to a beach about 15 minutes from the pier dropped us off and picked us up 2 hours later. We paid him after he picked us up. [/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Arial]Ask for Lollipop when you arrive after tendering. Bring him a few apples. [/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Arial]Grenada was devastated BE SURE to spend a few dollars there. We were the first cruise ship to arrive since hurricane Ivan. We were also carrying 30,000 pounds of relief supplies for the island.[/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Arial]St. Lucia : See it with FRANK! [/font][/size][email="franktax@hotmail.com"][font=Arial][size=3][color=#0000ff]franktax@hotmail.com[/color][/size][/font][/email][font=Arial][size=3] Lot of information on Frank on the ports of call board… $50 per person…. Everything included! 8am till whenever you want to return…. We returned around 4PM. One note… we had to tender and there was a bit of confusion as to which pier we were going to….. Frank sent his brother to take us to the other pier… Don’t just hop in the cab with anyone… his brother had a sign with our names (spelled correctly) on it.[/size][/font]

[size=3][font=Arial]Antigua….. Lawrence of Antigua lawrenceofantigua.com [/font][/size][email="lawrenceofantigua@yahoo.com"][font=Arial][size=3][color=#800080]lawrenceofantigua@yahoo.com[/color][/size][/font][/email][font=Arial][size=3]..... $25 per person plus $5 park entry. Turns out Lawrence is friends with Frank! Lawrence is actually his last name but everyone calls him Lawrence. Great informative.... not as big a partier as Frank is! 8:30 till around 1PM then on a beach (lunch on our own) till about 3PM…… we wanted to return a bit earlier and do some shopping[/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]Best place to get local food items like hot sauces are at the supermarkets.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial]Hope this helps a bit! [/font]

Thanks for the review. My family is on the Spirit 9 day on 12/3. We booked both Frank in St. Lucia and Lawrence in Antigua. We are looking forward to the tours. I have a few questions...
1. Did you goto Anse Chastenet with Frank.
2. Would two young children last thru the historical part of Lawrence's tour of the national park?
3. Can you get to and back from the Baths of Virgin Gorda via Speedy's without missing the boat? What time(miami time) did you leave from Tortola?

1. Did you goto Anse Chastenet with Frank.
We were with two other couples from Cruise Critics that were on the Princess.. Their ship was leaving almost 2 hours earlier, so we opted for lunch at a small resort that we had to take a 2 minute ferry to.... Frank also paid for the Ferry.... Frank will do whatever the group decides to do. He is GREAT!

2. Would two young children last thru the historical part of Lawrence's tour of the national park?

Depends on their age... we didn't see many kids there though there were not many kids on the ship either.... For the first part of the national park tour there is a 10-15 history overview that takes place outside... and a 15 minute show that takes place in a theater.... following this Lawrence takes you to an outlook point where you can see Eric Claption's home... just need to watch where you walk... lots of goats/sheeps roaming around.... Both these places are high and you will need to watch the kids carefully... then you take the second part which is down in the harbor..... nice to see the boats and another 10 minute history talk.

3. Can you get to and back from the Baths of Virgin Gorda via Speedy's without missing the boat? What time(miami time) did you leave from Tortola?

They cancelled the tours to the Baths due to high seas..... So I can't really advise you on that one... all i can say is that the ship leaves exactly when they say they will.....

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Sienna]HoosierContour
There are benches just inside the park where you could sit with your children. There were two young children in our group with Lawrence(13 months & 3) and their family did take them in the park , if that helps any. [/SIZE] [/COLOR][COLOR=Magenta] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]
Trish[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

you said : "While every hate chair huggers…"

and then went on to explain HOW to do it. I will never understand this type of reasoning. I have read the complaints about this subject and yet most people assume it should apply to everyone BUT THEM! If you think it is a rude, selfish, and thoughless way to behave, then don't do it.

[size=3][font=Arial]I'm not one to usually defend others...But I believe he said:[/font] "[font=Arial]We would only leave for breakfast which we would bring poolside or lunch" He's not describing how to get away with anything.[/font][/size]
[font=Arial][size=3]I'm glad to know what to what to do if I have to leave to use the restroom or grab a drink at the bar. I'm also glad to know that the staff is watching over the situation....[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=3][font=Verdana]gallivanter[/font] was nice enough to answer some of your questions yesterday...and you rip him here....[/size][/font]
[size=3]gallivanter....Thanks for the comments and tips[/size]

My wife and I were on the same 9 day cruise, and have some of the same feelings about the entertainment onboard. It was just OK. The food was just OK as well. What everyone in prior posts has said about Raffles is true, not all that good. We enjoyed Windows more than the Garden Room for meals. Grenada was a good experience. I realize I was on a cruise and at first I was upset we were going there, BUT.... It was an eye opener. We in the USA take a lot for granted. We would be devestated if we had the widespread damage they incurred. Go ashore and spend some money there, they are great people.

One of my biggest complaints was the way the Spirit handled tendering ashore. It was chaos in Grenada and St. Lucia... they tried to run too many people off and on the tenders at the same time.

Any divers out there should skip using NCL's dive operator in St. Lucia, very scary. But their selection in Tortola on the RMS Rhone dive was first class.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived