Orient beach or Holland House

jwweid

Since finding out about and following the ongoing pollution issues at Great Bay we have yet to swim in their again. So if going in the water is something that you want to do I would only recommend Orient from the two options given.

If swimming is not on the agenda then the Holland House is a great choice for sunning and for eating IMO and its very close to the pier and to shopping which is very convenient.

Would not recommend Orient Beach, just so touristy and draws so many cruisers and not one of the nicer SXM beaches.

Regarding Great Bay, based on the official existing water testing report I've seen we'd be fine with wading/floating in Great Bay unless there was a new alert against that.

Is there a reason you're looking only at these two options?

Would not recommend Orient Beach, just so touristy and draws so many cruisers and not one of the nicer SXM beaches.

Regarding Great Bay, based on the official existing water testing report I've seen we'd be fine with wading/floating in Great Bay unless there was a new alert against that.

Orient beach draws tourists but Great Bay draws only cruisers and those staying at a resort directly on the beach. Regular vacationers avoid it even in the summer when there aren't ships in on some days.

Yes it's a great spot to stay within walking distance of town and the bus. I assume jwweid is looking for a beach with a busier vibe like OB or a beach close to town since there are much nicer beaches that are less busy...

Edited by blue_water

Yes it's a great spot to stay within walking distance of town and the bus. I assume jwweid is looking for a beach with a busier vibe like OB or a beach close to town since there are much nicer beaches that are less busy...

I have been visiting St Maarten for many, many years and I often get asked from friends, friends of friends, collegues and family members where would I recommend they stay while vacationing on the island. I have yet to recommend Great Bay beach for anything other than a one night stay to catch a ship. Even if Great Bay beach is swim able some days who would want to book knowing that and if Philipsburg is an area that I would avoid in the evening how in good conscience could I recommend it to someone else.

When I think of touristy I think of a Florida beach lined with junky looking beach shops, which is not the case. Orient beach has some nice character, nice views, and great sand. But yes, there are other beaches popular with cruisers besides Orient Beach. Can't say I recommend Great Bay, however.

When I think of touristy I think of a Florida beach lined with junky looking beach shops, which is not the case. Orient beach has some nice character, nice views, and great sand. But yes, there are other beaches popular with cruisers besides Orient Beach. Can't say I recommend Great Bay, however.

We've enjoyed evenings at the Bikini Beach bar and other spots whle staying on OB, but for a cruise stop and a nice beach we don't consider the sand that nice and we'd choose another beach for an enjoyable day away from the rest of the ship, just our opinion...For folks who like that vibe OB is ideal.

I have been visiting St Maarten for many, many years and I often get asked from friends, friends of friends, collegues and family members where would I recommend they stay while vacationing on the island. I have yet to recommend Great Bay beach for anything other than a one night stay to catch a ship. Even if Great Bay beach is swim able some days who would want to book knowing that and if Philipsburg is an area that I would avoid in the evening how in good conscience could I recommend it to someone else.

Yes, again I assume the OP is looking for a busier vibe, or a beach within walking distance to town since those were the two options given. OB is a favorite beach for many day visitors as is Great Bay - OB for the vibe, and GB for the location. So they both have some appeal depending on the visitor. But I can certainly think of a much nicer SXM beach for the day!

We haven't been going to SXM for some time because we found another area that we loved more than SXM and EIS and we are building a home there. But we'll be making a trip to SXM in the fall just to see her again and spend some time on Anguilla. We're actually looking forward to staying in Great Bay after talking to friends and acquaintances who have stayed there, and also based on reviews of the limited options we had. We've traveled on vacation out of the US 6 times in the past 12 months and this is a budget trip otherwise you'd find us staying on AXA and St Martin...

But thanks for your insight, and happy to read that you love SXM! :)

Edited by blue_water

Yes, again I assume the OP is looking for a busier vibe, or a beach within walking distance to town since those were the two options given. OB is a favorite beach for many day visitors as is Great Bay - OB for the vibe, and GB for the location. So they both have some appeal depending on the visitor. But I can certainly think of a much nicer SXM beach for the day!

We haven't been going to SXM for some time because we found another area that we loved more than SXM and EIS and we are building a home there. But we'll be making a trip to SXM in the fall just to see her again and spend some time on Anguilla. We're actually looking forward to staying in Great Bay after talking to friends and acquaintances who have stayed there, and also based on reviews of the limited options we had. We've traveled on vacation out of the US 6 times in the past 12 months and this is a budget trip otherwise you'd find us staying on AXA and St Martin...

But thanks for your insight, and happy to read that you love SXM! :)

Seem to be going round and round here. Bye

Seem to be going round and round here. Bye

LOL....ok then ;)

If the OP decides to clarify why they're looking at these specific beaches you can provide them with more guidance. ;)

Edited by blue_water