Jewel HC cabin 11139 and assisted boarding question

iamaqt2

I have literally scoured the internet to find any information on this cabin. The closest I have gotten was a Gem review that obscurely refers to a pole in the room.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=50654

I'm definitely hoping that the Jewel doesn't have this pole in the room. Can anyone who may have stayed in this room chime in?

Also, I've requested assisted boarding for my DH, and we've never cruised NCL before. We're sailing out of San Pedro, so can anyone advise on how to get assistance once we arrive?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer!!

I can't help with the cabin but I can speak to the assisted boarding. I asked for wheel chair assistance for my mother when I went on the Jewel out of San Pedro since she has walking difficulties. They said we would need to get into the terminal and then there would be a waiting area for the chairs and assistance. That was exactly the way it was. The chairs were close to where you come into the terminal and it didn't take too long to get her a chair with someone to assist.

They took us up to the accessible check in desk and since we had our cards over in the Haven area they took us over there. Once we were ready to board they had another person push my mother up the ramps and into the ships. Now, I was told that they would not take her to the room and we would need to get there by ourselves but he certainly did take her to the room where I had a walker waiting for her from Special Needs at Sea.

For disembarkation they had anyone who required wheelchair assistance go to the lounge, sign up on the sheet, and they took you out in order as chairs came available. They took us through the side line so we didn't have to wait in line for customs. The assistant then took us to go get our luggage (I grabbed both of ours) and then out to the shuttle area. My mom made sure to tip each assistant since they were all great.

Check out this link for more information:

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

Edited by CoffeeGoddess

CoffeeGoddess, thank you so much for sharing your experience. Did your mom have far to walk into the terminal before the wheelchairs? I know you said it was close, but DH can't walk too far. Would you say less than 100 yards? And mostly for him, it wouldn't be walking because we could manage that, but then standing is out for sure. Would he be able to stay in the chair until boarding?

I just checked Google Maps and from the point we were dropped off by the taxi and walking to the building, past security and to the seating area it's showing about 300 feet. Of course the closer you are dropped off to the entry the less walking it will be so you could probably keep it under 100 yards.

Once she they got her a wheel chair she was in it until we got on the ship.