Ocho Rios or Falmouth

carlissaandisaacsmommy

Trying to decide which cruise to do and the only difference in the 2 is the Jamaica port. We are a family of 6...me, my husband, 2 & 7 year old kids, and my parents. We usually like to see some of the city and go to a local restaurant and visit the beach. Not really interested in hiking. Which port would you recommend and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No real beach in Falmouth. You'd need to taxi to a beach and wandering around town is not great. They do have a nice secure port area for shopping and a couple of restaurants, but once you go outside the "gated" area, it's not great.

Ocho Rios has a couple of beaches within walking distance. One is very near the port and attached (sort of ) to the MArgaritaville. Pretty secure, although very small. You can walk to the public beach in town which is not a far walk as well. The town of Ocho Rios is a little aggressive, so be ready for lots of vendors trying to sell their wares. There are a few more shopping/eating opportunities in Ocho Rios compared to Falmouth.

I think I'd choose OR over Falmouth because I like the greater variety of activities. But I've been to OR many times and feel comfortable with the vendor interactions. Many people are not.

Falmouth is a gated port area that was built for cruise ships. There are some shops, mostly jewelry, a small market area and a taxi and tour stand area. There is no beach within a walking distance as there is at Ocho Rios. You can also walk around Ocho Rios and shop, but be forwarned that the merchants and locals can be VERY pushy and aggressive, some offering to sell you drugs. This understandably turns off many cruisers.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal