Nanaimo

I haven't seen people ask about Nanaimo (north of Victoria on Vancouver Island) in a while. I think they get about 4 ships in per year. I hadn't been here to stay for many years but am in Nanaimo right now on a conference and it is just a lovely place. They have redone their downtown water access with a promenade. Most of the shops and restaurants downtown are not chains, just lots of locally owned businesses. You can easily walk into town.

Best of all.... no Diamonds International or pushy vendors.

Viv

• 4 months later...

I emailed the Nanaimo Downtown Management Board for our Sept 30 stop in Nanaimo.

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your message!

Nanaimo is always very pleased to welcome cruise ship passengers to our City and we try to make them feel as welcome as possible. As a result our volunteers come out in force! Tourism Nanaimo will be at our beautiful cruise ship terminal to welcome passengers and advice them of the wonderful things our city has to offer. They will give you a come ashore package will lots of information, maps, coupons and so on in it. We have a free shuttle that navigates the downtown and has four different stops in Downtown Nanaimo.

The first stop is on Front Street, steps away from our scenic Harbor Walkway. The second is just off Commercial Street voted the best street in Canada. The third takes you into the Old City Quarter where there is an array of little shops and cafes. Finally the bus stops on Victoria Crescent, home to the China Steps. Then it is back off to the cruise ship terminal.

Passengers are welcome to hop on and off the buses as they please. We also have two information booths in the Downtown, one on Front Street and the other in the Old City Quarter, to help guide passengers and advise them on what to do and see. As you can see you take the cruise ships very seriously in Nanaimo and try to make your experience as memorable as possible.

For more information on what to do and what to see, and general information on the area visit our website at www.dnbia.ca and www.tourismnanaimo.com is also full of information.

I hope this was helpful. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else before you arrive and if not I will see you on the 30th!

Kind regards,

Kaitlyn

• 3 years later...

Thank you very for info. I have search for info about Nanaimo but haven't found much till I saw your post. It will be one of our ports stop on NCL Sun next May 2017 sailing. If you visit there before next May please post your thoughts and things you do there. Thanks again