Charleston - Is Departure Day as Involved as it Sounds??

Safe77

My wife and I have one cruise under our belts so far--Princess out of Port Everglades. We found parking (off-site), check-in and boarding very easy and pretty straightforward. We're taking a family cruise just before Christmas with our 2 teenage sons (Carnival Ecstasy out of Charleston). My wife and I are staying in a grand suite, while the boys are in an oceanview cabin. (It just worked out that way...honest!)

1. So, I'm guessing we all get priority boarding together because of the suite. Correct?

2. Our scheduled boarding time is 11:30 AM. Does that mean we should plan to arrive at the port at 11:30, or should we be there earlier in order to walk up the gangway at 11:30?

3. From what I've read, processing through the port sounds slightly more involved than Port Canaveral, which I would liken more to an aircraft terminal departure. Do I understand correctly that we drive up to the port entrance, show boarding passes, IDs, etc., are directed to pull forward to a tent where our checked baggage is turned in, then drive to the parking area and from there, either walk or take a shuttle bus with our carry-on bags to the terminal, where we are processed and directed to the ship?

Perhaps it is a simple process; I'm just a (too-)thorough person who wants to know what to expect ahead of time. I'll relax AFTER I step onto the ship. Honestly, before that precise moment, I loathe travel day! Lol! Thanks very much for your assistance!

Yes - because your sons' accounts will be paid for by you and tied to your folio, they will board with you in the priority line. We usually arrive @ 10:30 or so. Even though you've chosen 11:30, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get on board earlier if the ship is boarding earlier. At any rate, I'd get there earlier since you have a suite. It gets somewhat confusing at the doors, but keep asking Carnival people where priority board is if it is not clearly marked.

What you've outlined in #3 is correct unless they've changed things recently. We always get dropped off by taxi, they take our bags, then we walk over to a tent to get on the shuttle bus to be driven to the building for boarding.

Have a great time in your suite. :)