San Pedro on own with tender?

dalgirl

Just realized that Belize will be a tender stop and it looks like around 20 minutes each way. We had thought to take the ferry to San Pedro for the day, but I am not sure about doing all that on our own. We have priority tender tickets so that is not a problem, but I don't know if it is worth it with so many transportation changes. Has anyone done this successfully? What was your schedule? Also, if we decide to do a beach day, are there beaches within walking distance? Sorry for all the questions!

It would depend upon how long you are in port and, depending upon how far out your ship has to anchor, what time the last tender from port to ship leaves (anywhere from 1 hour to 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure time).

Most people heading to San Pedro/Ambergris Caye, do so via flying.

But I'm attaching the water taxi schedule for your use. Remember the times shown are Belize time which may or may not correspond to your ship's time.

http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/schedule

There are NO beaches within walking distance of the tender pier. The nearest mainland "beach" is a manmade lagoon called Cucumber Beach in Old Belize. It was developed as a small boat marina and a beach for locals.

To enjoy a sandy beach you need to sign up for an excursion to one of the cayes. An alternative is to take the water taxi to Caye Caulker and enjoy the small village and beach there.

Yes just fly over.

We tendered in, grabbed a cab and headed to the municipal airport right up the road. NOT the international airport.

No problems. Quick flight over, rented a golf cart and had a ball.

Google taco girl and you might find a 10% off flight coupon.

Michael.......

Yes just fly over.

We tendered in, grabbed a cab and headed to the municipal airport right up the road. NOT the international airport.

No problems. Quick flight over, rented a golf cart and had a ball.

Google taco girl and you might find a 10% off flight coupon.

Michael.......

You did it the best way..

Do you remember when you caught the plane back?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Forums mobile app

We took the flight that landed 1 hour before last tender.

Last tender is 45 min before cruise ship departure time.

So we landed one hour and 45 min before the ship left.

Of course this could become a little nerve racking if something happened and the flight had to be cancelled.

In our case we brought extra money, credit cards and passports in case we had to stay in San Pedro and catch a flight the next day to meet the ship.

But this is all part of the deal.

We took the wrong train in Italy one time and got back to the ship 20 minutes before it left. I don't think my nerves could take missing the ship in Belize😊

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

We had a similar experience when we went over to Nevis on our own. We barely made it back to St Kitts to board the ship.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I am planning on doing this Dec. 20th and my 83 yr. old Mother is insisting she wants to come along to see where I used to live in San Pedro. I, myself, have not been back in 20 years. I explained to her that she needs to be prepared to "miss the ship". So for those "just in case" preparations, does anyone know how one would get to Mahahual from San Pedro? Could one hire a boat??? Not that I am planning on not returning on time...but you never know. Also, do you have info. on the golf cart rentals? Can you get that right at the airstrip or do you need to reserve? Thanks for any help and advice!!!

Ha ha. Worst case scenario, YES you could take a boat to Mahahual. It would be expensive. Highly unlikely that would happen, but if it does, can you ask the boat captain to stop by Miss Janice's so that she can ride along. They will all know who I am.

I would recommend Boaz golf cart rental, which is right by Tropic Air. You really should have no problem getting back to ship. That is, unless you are in shock from the change in San Pedro and need to be taken to the hospital.

Enjoy your day. Wish we could turn back the clock. What part of the island did you live on?

Janice

Janice, there is a Hospital in San Pedro now? lol I lived just past Paradise (back in the Jerry McDermott days) and the Turk house (no longer there). I rented from Gil Gonzalez and Soila and Claudio Trejo lived next door. I became very close to their middle son Alberto (Caco) and consider him my son. He now lives in Florida. I cannot wait to see the changes, even tho Alberto and Ari have told me that yes, too bad we can't turn back the clock!