What would you do if you had 3 days around Sorrento and Amalie coast

ACJV

We are planning a pre-cruise trip to this area in November. We want to visit Herculaneum and the coastal area. We have been to Pompeii, and Capri, as well as a day trip to the Amalfi Coast. We would like to be centrally located for 3 days for touring the area. Would it be best to stay in Sorrento in Order to have easy access for transportation, as we will not have a car?also, any hotel recommendations for the area?

Thanks,

Vicki

We are planning a pre-cruise trip to this area in November. We want to visit Herculaneum and the coastal area. We have been to Pompeii, and Capri, as well as a day trip to the Amalfi Coast. We would like to be centrally located for 3 days for touring the area. Would it be best to stay in Sorrento in Order to have easy access for transportation, as we will not have a car?also, any hotel recommendations for the area?

Thanks,

Vicki

Don't let people tell you Sorrento is boring. I spent a week there last year and three weeks there in April. You can easily get to all the places you mentioned. Train, bus, ferry all simple and reasonably priced. Sorrento itself is fun. The best gelato I had traveling for three months. Good food too but there are tourist traps that really do kind of suck. I enjoyed my stay at Sorrento Apartments so I cooked a lot. I am not familiar with other hotels other than Tasso Suites which was also good and reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Either Sorrento or Naples will work well for what you want to do. Naples is closer to Herculeneum while Sorrento is closer to the Amalfi Coast.

However, given that the weather can be pretty iffy in November, do consider what you'll do if you have one or more days of rain. If you're staying in Naples you've got lots of indoor options, Sorrento and the coast don't offer much on that front.

We just spent a few days touring Amalfi pre-cruise in September and loved it! We fly into Rome and rented a car. We also changed our embankment port to Naples so we wouldn't have to drive back, giving us an extra day.

We started in Pompeii on the first day then in the morning we drove out to the Amalfi coast.

We stayed in Praiano, which is about half way between Amalfi and Positano. They have a bus that runs up and down the coast but it was always crowded and only ran every hour, so we ended up driving ourselves. Only problem we had was trying to find parking in Positano. And driving on the narrow roads was an adventure too!

You can take the ferry around but not sure how often they operate at this time of the year. And like mentioned above, weather can change.

We returned car to the Naples airport and took a cab to a hotel within walking distance of cruise/ferry port.