QM2 Transatlantic Report from a New Cruiser

flag fan

This is a quick review of a transatlantic trip on the Queen Mary 2 I recently complete (October 24-30, 2006) that I hope is some help for people considering whether to book a crossing. My advice: Do it!!

This was my first cruise (crossing) so I don’t have any basis for comparison except my very high hopes and expectations, which this trip met. Some background: I was traveling solo; I am in my early 50s and male.

The Ship. The Queen Mary 2 is beautiful and big. The decor I would describe as elegant but not boring (how could green and red leopard print carpets be dull?). It is big and after a few days I thought I had figured things out, but somehow I was always on the wrong end of the ship whenever I was trying to get somewhere. (I can’t really blame the ship; I get lost every time I take a trip in a car too.) There are plenty of places to just sit and watch the ocean roll by, although most of them are in lounges so there is the temptation to get a drink while enjoying the scenery, but the Promenade Deck has great wooden lounge chairs with pads which makes ocean-watching particularly pleasant in nice weather. (The weather was not bad, but a little too cold to lounge long either on the deck or on a balcony.) The public rooms all look better in person than in the website or brochure pictures.

Things to Do. I know some people are concerned about boredom on a Transatlantic crossing but there is more than enough to keep anyone busy. I thought this would be a nice relaxing way to unwind from work before a hectic week running around London sightseeing, but I found that there were more things to do on the ship than I had time for and I didn’t make a dent in the books I had brought along to read (or the book I got out of the QM2 library). The Oxford lectures (2-3 different ones each day), planetarium shows (3 different ones, with showings at different times during the day), movies (which I never got around to seeing, although there were some I wanted to see), production shows, musicians playing in the different lounges, and other activities (bingo, trivia games, bridge and dance lessons, etc.) were the main things I remember, but there were others (like a cooking demonstration, modern dance demonstration, book club meeting (I read the book just to go to the meeting but ended up doing something else instead)) are just some of the things there are to do, and that’s leaving out exercising in the gym, massage and spa treatments, and (a major activity) the great meals and balls. One has to really work hard to get bored on this ship.

That being said, I suspect a crossing is not for everyone. There were no stand-up comics, there were sports activities available, but they were not emphasized, and dress was not as casual as many would like (very few people in jeans). The demographics were skewed toward 50s and 40s, with only about 10% or so in the 20s or 70s/80s ranges; very few children (which is probably due to the time of year). Cunard markets its ships as grand ocean liners like the old days, but I did not find the people on board stuffy; everyone was friendly and interested in enjoying themselves, not judging others on board. There were about an equal number of British and American passengers (with some of those people I assumed were Americans probably being Canadian), with Germans making up a noticeable minority, with a smattering of other groups (Asian, Russian, Australian).

Things to Eat. I ate in the Britannia Restaurant mostly and the food was great. Good variety and great quality. I had lunch twice in Todd English and it was worth the extra $20 (although the menu was the same both days, so probably not worth going twice). I also tried La Piazza (one of the King’s Court night-time restaurants) and it was great too. In fact, the food was always good, including the Kings Court for lunch and room service.

This being my first cruise, particularly with no ports of call and going solo, I had concerns whether it would be as good as some of the reviews on this board. It was; I think I am now spoiled and can’t wait to sail on the QM2 again (and maybe try the QE2 as well–I saw her in port in Southampton; some lucky passengers were getting off the QM2 to go on a Mediterranean cruise on the QE2). These boards have been a great help to me in planning my trip. I hope this is helpful for those who are considering whether to book a Transatlantic on the QM2. Again, my advice is Do It!

flag fan, I enjoyed your review. I'm a fan of QM2 and would like to do another twelve day cruise. I dream of eating again at Todd English. She is such a big ship, and I know what you mean about being on the wrong end of the ship! A mistake aboard can cost an extra ten minutes of walking. I didn't think I would like the lectures, but I too enjoyed most of them. (walked out on one that was such a bore!). I think if I did a crossing it would have to be on this ship.

flag fan, I enjoyed your review. I'm a fan of QM2 and would like to do another twelve day cruise. I dream of eating again at Todd English. She is such a big ship, and I know what you mean about being on the wrong end of the ship! A mistake aboard can cost an extra ten minutes of walking. I didn't think I would like the lectures, but I too enjoyed most of them. (walked out on one that was such a bore!). I think if I did a crossing it would have to be on this ship.

Well, hello, Randy. Good to see you posting on the Cunard board. Seeing your post brings back lots of good memories of our QM2 cruise together in 2004. What a great Cruise Critic Group! We have returned to the QM2 twice since that cruise and the ship gets better each time. So go ahead and book a transatlantic. You won't regret it. Hello to Monica.

Beth and Jerry in Tennessee

Flag Fan...thank you for posting your review of your crossing. And what a way to begin your sailing adventures. There is nothing quite like a crossing and one on the QM2 has to be extra special. I have crossed several times long ago, but not on anything of the stature of QM2. I'm so glad it was memorable for you.

Cheers, Penny...who expects to be on the wrong end of the ship many times in 4 short weeks!

My advice: Do it!!

I was traveling solo; I am in my early 50s and male.

Thank you for your review and for your advice:) Thanks also for the reassurance that it's OK if you're travelling solo - I've always thought that a cruise is the one holiday I would feel comfortable on if I were single, but it's always nice to get reassurance that others have done the single thing and been OK.

Well, hello, Randy. Good to see you posting on the Cunard board. Seeing your post brings back lots of good memories of our QM2 cruise together in 2004. What a great Cruise Critic Group! We have returned to the QM2 twice since that cruise and the ship gets better each time. So go ahead and book a transatlantic. You won't regret it. Hello to Monica.

Beth and Jerry in Tennessee

Hey Beth and Jerry...I think of all the cruise critic groups on the cruises

I've been on, the best by far was the group of folks on the Qm2. Remember how long our cruise critic meeting lasted? For a large group we just "clicked". Did you have good cc meeting your last two times aboard? It's alway nice to see cruise critic folks during the cruise. I am impressed you have 3 Qm2 trips, thats great!. The Qm2 was just 7 cruises ago, but I still dream of getting lost aboard. :D

Randy

Flag fan, I realized after my last post that I did not congratulate you on an excellent and well organized review. I have not done a transatlantic cruise on the QM2 but would love to. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience.

Beth

Hey Beth and Jerry...I think of all the cruise critic groups on the cruises

I've been on, the best by far was the group of folks on the Qm2. Remember how long our cruise critic meeting lasted? For a large group we just "clicked". Did you have good cc meeting your last two times aboard? It's alway nice to see cruise critic folks during the cruise. I am impressed you have 3 Qm2 trips, thats great!. The Qm2 was just 7 cruises ago, but I still dream of getting lost aboard. :D

Randy

Hi Randy,

That Cruise Critic group will always be special. As you say, we just "clicked" and had so many fun get togethers during the cruise. Remember all the high tea meetings we had. We had the Cruise Critic group plus all the other folks who started hanging out with us during the week. When we returned to the ship for the second time, the man who had been the maitre' d in the Queen's Room during our teas was our maitre' d in the dining room. He remembered us as "that internet group"!!!

We have met wonderful folks through Cruise Critic on each cruise on the QM2. However, none of the other groups has been as active as the cruise where we met you.

I hope our paths will cross of the QM2 again.

Beth

Archived