Sequal Eclipse 3 Portable Concentrator

For anyone that has used Sequal Eclipse 3 Portable Concentrator, could you please give me an idea of the noise it makes? Like does it make a sedating hum or a vibrating knock or someplace in between?

The best I can interpret from the specs, the sound may be equivalent to a refrigerator hum. I have my home unit sitting on styrofoam to minimize the vibration and sound.

Thanks, Betty

My Mom uses this POC. WOW, how to describe the noise? It will not run you out of the room, but if possible Mom likes to put it in the next room and add extra tubing to reach. It is about as loud as a humidifier, less than a fridge, more than just background white noise. It seems to get quieter after running a few minutes and setting it on a towel can help. It really is a very manageable noise level, but don't expect it to be unnoticeable in a quiet place. In public places it is quiet enough that it won't disturb others, they probly won't even notice. Hope this helps!

Thank you.

I was also on a quander on how to describe sound. My big concern is my cabin mate. I do not wish for my POC to keep her awake at night. At present, I am thinking about taking a piece of soft foam along to sit it on.

Betty

DH has used a Sequal Eclipse the last 3-4 trips. This is what he said: "I am a light sleeper, and I sleep fine with it with a 6-7 ft. cannula. It does make a difference, as with all POCs, how many liters you use (higher lpm is noisier), and whether it's on continuous or pulse. Pulse is quieter."

Since I sleep with him :) I can say it doesn't bother my sleep because it is on the other side of the bed, which helps. Of course, my snoring may eclipse the Eclipse. :D

Is it loud enough to bother nearby passengers on a plane?

Fortunately, I will not disturb anyone on my flights. Presently, I am like you, only have to use the POC at night, except in humid conditions and then it is usually 24/7. In the event I do have to use it on the flight, it appears that the unit is not loud or noisy and hopefully will not disturb anyone.

Mary – Thanks for your input. I do plan on taking extra cannula line. With the two scooters and this, we will have to strategically place everything in the cabin. The scooters we have down to a science, so adding the POC should not be too much of a problem.

Betty

My husband travels with a Sequal 3. Definitely you will not hear it above engine noise on an airplane. I have to say that if my refrigerator made that much noise, I'd call a repairman. No, it doesn't knock, but it's a loud hum, that's for sure, and I'd think that if you could put it on a cushioned surface it would be a bit quieter. I'd suggest putting it in the bathroom or a closet and then using a longer piece of tubing (25 feet), but then the problem is that there are so few places in the cabin to plug it in.

It's white noise, but it's loud white noise - your roommate can do what I do - put the extra pillow over my head, and I don't notice it as much.

After I posted, DH remembered something interesting about the Eclipse. He normally sleeps at 1 lpm continuous. When he uses the Eclipse, it hums louder at 1 lpm than at 1.5 lpm, so he increases to 1.5 lpm at night when he travels with the Eclipse.

Mary – Again, thank you. I may try adjusting the controls. We have a strange cabin layout on the Maasdam and I did find a picture. Even though I am getting the Eclipse through the VA , I can pretty much get everything to suit my needs... like long tubing. At present, it appears that I should be able to put the unit on the floor on the other side of the sofa and run the tubing along the bulkhead behind the sofa and the full length of my bed. It would be about the furtherest point from Ruth's bed and hopefully the sofa would muffle any noise. And I do have an inch thick piece of foam I will take to sit it on.

Now for my next concern... (lol) I hope nobody has their cameras out as I go through the airport. I have backpack on my scooter and normally leave attached a tool kit. If gone for a full day, I take a second battery pack and the scooter is loaded. Now for getting from home to the ship, I add a cooler for meds and a tow line for my suitcase (carry-on). Now with this little item, I will have to attach it to that tow line also. I have this feeling that I will look like a modern version of something escaping from the dust bowl.

Betty

Archived