grand turk snorkeling for the heavy set

auie2

Does anyone know of a snorkel operator that uses a catamaran that has the staircase with rails into the water. I have snorkeled all over but my wife is rather new to snorkeling and can't do the latters on the back of the boat.

Thanks,

David

You can google the two primary dive companies that run snorkeling excursions, Ocean Divers (which does the ship sponsored excursions) and Blue Water Divers (which does not ship sponsored excursions) and then email both to see what type of boats they use.

• 3 months later...

Hi David,

I was wondering if you found out anything about the types of water entry/exits the different tour operator's boats have? I had a similar question for my party of travelers!

Thanks for any info you might share!! :D

We have the same question! FYI: I did see a weight limit of 250 lbs on the Blue Water Diver website. Similarly, I saw a 280 lb weight limit on the Grand Turk Diving website...That will not accommodate some of our party.

Jen

We are booked with Blue Water Divers and here is the information they have sent us with our booking confirmation:

The snorkel-only trip costs $60 per person and includes snorkel gear (mask, fins and snorkel), floatation vest, and bottled water (provided on the boat). Our boats are 24-28’ Carolina skiffs equipped with bench seats, a boarding ladder at the stern, a dry box, and a shade canopy. Please note that our equipment has a weight limit of 250 pounds per person.

Hope this helps!

For anyone else going through the same hunt for information, you might want to contact Don of White Sands Charters and Tours. I emailed him directly today (use the email address on the website, not the "contact us" web form) and got a quick and positive response.

Don's response said in part:

"We use two boats for our snorkel tours. We do not have a weight limit. Our boats are equipped with ladders at the rear of small platform. However our staff are always very helpful and will assist you every step of the way."

Our cruise isn't until November so I'm in the early planning stages, but this was helpful information to me. Hopefully it's helpful to someone else too!