Need Wheelchair advice - Embarkation (San Pedro) 3 questions

TravelDan99

Will be driving to Port terminal for LA/Hawaii Sapphire in February, and parking at the port. We have done this several times, but, this will be the first time my traveling partner, my sister, is now in a folding wheelchair. She can walk about ten steps, but, has to sit down, so, I was wondering the best logistical way to drop the luggage, then let her off in her chair somewhere, while I go park the car. Where should I drop her where she can wait for me, as February in LA tends to be chilly?

Lots of time when we travel by air, when we are connecting flights, especially in Europe, the airline takes her away without me, through customs, etc., cause they see I can walk, and etc...etc.... (even though I am carrying both her carryon's and mine, also, and it is difficult for me to walk miles through the airports at my young age of 63) I only posted this part, cause my fear is something like this might happen in a cruise terminal. This is our first HC outing experience with a wheelchair.

Also, she insists on taking her rolling walker. Can I just put a luggage tag on it, and check it curbside with the porters? with a nice tip, of course.

Anyway, we are Platinum on Princess, do we go the platinum check in, or to Handicap check in, if there is such a thing?

Very much appreciated if anyone has any suggestions for any part of this plea for help......

Regards,

Dan

First of all, if you request to be in the line with your sister at the airport, I've never found an airport that didn't allow the able bodied to be in the line for the disabled. My sister travels with me all the time and she just gets in the special line with me, taking my shoes and carry on. Of course, I do go to a special area to be "frisked", and she goes to the regular line, but that's the only time we're split up.

In the cruise terminal, everyone in your party can go in the line for the disabled. They do not split you up.

Can't help with the San Pedro parking thing because we always take a taxi to the port. Sorry.

Thank you for your input.

No, I wasn't speaking of boarding or standing in line. It was when those electric "carts" that whisk physically challenged passengers between connecting flights to gates, or other terminals, that my sister needs, since we didn't take a wheelchair with us, and she boarded the cart, they said I had to walk. Just sharing similar experiences in the past, and trying to prevent us from being split up, just in case.

Our travel days are over, and this cruise will be our last together. The logistics of parking and wheelchair standby are my main concerns.

thanks

In San Pedro you can either drop off luggage before or after you park, follow the signs.

Weather in February can be iffy. Can be beautiful or chilly and rainy, check the weather before you leave home.

I would carry on the walker. It could possibly get bent or broken in the luggage carts.

I am a wheelchair user and my husband always just drops me off with luggage at terminal and then goes to park. They have benches to sit on while you wait. I tag my crutches since I do not need to use them until later at night. I have always been assisted and never been split up from my party.

Hi. I am disabled and when friends come with me this is how we handle it.

If you are 63 you can also board the shuttle at the airports (just tell them you can not walk that far in the big terminals). This way you will be together accept for the x-ray machine. She should have her stuff with her. The airport will have someone help her. That do with me even when I travel with others. This way my stuff is mine and if anything is wrong (my meds have a cool pack with them). They ask me not a friend who may not know that it is allowed with some meds).

At the x-ray machine she will be frisked. Then they will want to take her right away but she can tell them that she needs to go with her party. She will have to speak up and so will you (when they split you for the x-ray tell them you need to go together to the gate). At this time if you need a shuttle go together for it.

When you get to the gate both of you go on the plane first and when you get off you can ask for a wheelchair too. Don't be shy about getting a wheelchair at the airports for both of you it is far easier to stay together this way.

As for the pier you can stay together and go in the H/C line which is normally at the end of the counter. This line is very quick normally and you will have assistance right up to and into the ship to a place to eat if required.

When we sail from San Pedro, DH drops me and the luggage off.....getting a porters attention to get our bags right from next to the car. We get there early so he can wait with me for the porter. He goes and parks the car right across from where I am and just walks across the street/driveway to me pushing my walker with our carry ons on it like our own trolley. I check in with the cruise personnel and they get someone to push my chair if I have it, or I self propel if I have my scooter. The "pusher" takes me through the lines. We are platinum too, and we get in the shortest line, plat. or hndicpd, and on to the ship. It is really quite easier than you imagine, and the companion will be able to accompany you. You can also get a chair and pusher when you arrive if you arent in one upon arrival. Tips are in order for both luggage porters and " pushers". We usually tip two or three dollars a bag and 5-10 dollars for the person pushing the chair.

Archived