Disembarking at Ports

lynn2002

Hi

We are first time cruisers. We are doing a Mediterranean cruise and all the ports we will be disembarking will not need tenders so have been told that we will be able to disembark at all the ports. My friend has mobility problems and will be using a wheelchair. His disability causes him to have falls but it is only recently when he has accepted the need of a wheelchair. However I have found when going down ramps it is very difficult for me to control the wheelchair and I do not think I will be able to manage long ramps off the ship (if indeed that is how we disembark).

Can anyone tell me whether we will get assistance getting on and off the ship. Also, because of his mobility problems we are looking to book private tours at a couple of ports. If we are able to get assistance, how long do we generally have to wait. The reason I ask is so that I can advise the tour company of the likely time we will get off the ship.

Many thanks for any advice

You can ask for help as you leave the ship. The length of the ramp depends on the port and the deck from which you leave the ship. It is much safer to take the wheelchair down the ramp backwards (at least we were taught this in nursing school so that the chair couldn't get away from us) if you do it yourself. I have not seen steep ramps at many ports but frequently there are cleat like things in the ramp that the chair has to bump over.

• 1 month later...

advise your on shore tour company of your problem in advance. These companies depend on the cruise ships for day excursions and will be used to ships arriving late etc. Just explain that you may be a bit later than expected if you have to wait around for help. Sometimes, the gangplank is steep (depends on the tide) but have a word with the tour manager or reception and arrange help in advance. Cruse ships are very used to wheelchair users.

It might be helpful for you to list the ports of call so that people can give you more advice on what to expect.

If you end up needing to do it, it might help to walk down backwards, that is much easier then the chair in front. Also, if he has hand strength, he can help control it by holding his rims and creating some friction.

Archived