Bordeaux Tour Guide Recommendation please

Grandma Gilly

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We were in Bordeaux for a couple of days and just did it on our own. The first day we walked around Bordeaux - Saw St Crux church, St Michel church with separate spire, walked along the river and enjoyed the narrow winding medieval streets. The old gates are gorgeous.

The 2nd day we did a day trip to St Emilion, France by train. My notes.... Very cute medieval town with lots of vineyards. The town is all about wine. A long uphill walk from the tiny train station into town. Found Medieval Cafe for a drink and later returned for a late lunch. They had the best beer in town. Found the tourist office and got a city map. Didn't use it much but wandered around. Found a winery with a free tasting that let you into their cellars. The castle ruins were interesting and had sheep grazing on the ruins! Parts of the wall still stand. The cathedral is partially underground - we decided to skip the tour. Very narrow cobblestone roads throughout the town. Took the 5:18 train back to Bordeaux then had a picnic for dinner along the river.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for sharing your experience there! We are specifically looking for a wine guide; I apologize for not stating that.

France had become my favorite country in Europe; I love the hill towns!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a cognac tour out of Angouleme France which is not far from Bordeaux with Bacchus Wine Tours/Cognac Wine Tours. I'm not sure, but I think I they did tours out of Bordeaux and I had to ask if they came to Angouleme. It is a husband/wife combo and a fun tour. They were very accommodating, even asking if there were specific places we wanted to go. We went to the smaller family owned and run places.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums