Is it common to be delayed getting INTO Amsterdam (Canal/locks delays)?

Gene-Jockey

I asked a similar question on the Holland America board but thought I would throw it open a bit more generally so sorry for the partial duplication.

Can anyone tell me how common it is to have delays in ARRIVING at Amsterdam's cruise port due to bottlenecks in traversing the canals and locks? I am trying to figure out minimum allowances for flight booking after the cruise and have no idea if on-time arrivals are the norm or if delays are common. I am not talking about disembarkation times, or airport congestion etc, only whether ships tend in general to get into Amsterdam on time, and if not, how much delay is there generally.

No it is not common, all departures/arrivals etc. are planned. However due to the weather it might happen travel through the lock in IJmuiden takes more time. Last Sunday there was an emergency on the way back to Amsterdam. Patient was taken off the ship by heli in the night. Arrival in Amsterdam was just 15-20 minutes later, still time enough for passengers to disembark early.

Cruiseships only sail in Northseacanal, not in any other canal.

No it is not common, all departures/arrivals etc. are planned. However due to the weather it might happen travel through the lock in IJmuiden takes more time. Last Sunday there was an emergency on the way back to Amsterdam. Patient was taken off the ship by heli in the night. Arrival in Amsterdam was just 15-20 minutes later, still time enough for passengers to disembark early.

Cruiseships only sail in Northseacanal, not in any other canal.

Thank you for your reply (an on the other board as well :) ) You have reassured me greatly. I will be flying direct from Amsterdam to Toronto via Air Canada so no USA airlines or other US issues per se. That said, I recognize security is tight wherever and whenever. I really did not wish to have to book an overnight in Amsterdam just to ensure flight connections, however. Amsterdam is a wonderful city to be sure, but I have visited before and a single overnight would not add much to the experience (other than $$!).

Thanks again.