Ft. Lauderdale/Miami Port Info

CharlieBum

I'm needing a little bit of advice as I am traveling with children aged 11, 13, and 2. I have never been to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami so I have no idea what is going on down there and how to get around so I know some of you professionals might can help me! :confused:

Here's the first question I have:

Flight arrives at 10:00 PM in Ft. Lauderdale. What are some reasonably priced hotels that you guys know for a fact pick up from the airport and transport back to the hotel? I seen a Best Western Plus for around $80/night but was curious if there were any other options.

Second question I have is transportation to the Port of Miami. I have seen several (Jiffy Jeff, MJS) and will probably take those. Customer service is a big thing though because, with a 2-year old, punctuality is a priority to say the least. Any other good ones out there? I will use this company

Third question is what to do when I get to port of Miami. The 11 and the 13 year old aren't a problem obviously. However, as Dad, I will probably get the joy of carrying their bags every so often along with the two year old's bag. I'd rather get there early and sit a while than get there late and be in a panic and forget something important. However, is there anything to look at or view from the cruise port other than say the ship sitting there? A park close by that's safe? Or a little area where you can access the ocean? Again, the 11 and 13 year old will be fine. The two year old though gets bored easily.

Finally, after arriving back in Miami port after the cruise, my family and I have to stay overnight and I'll probably use the same hotel that we stayed in before we left for the trip. But, where is the best place to get a car for the day near POM that can be returned to Ft. Lauderdale airport? I've read some horror stories of people having to wait for hours and with the baby it will be terrible so quality is better right now.

Sorry so long but I'm lost until I get on the boat. Thanks to whoever can respond and I appreciate it more than you guys/gals will know.

-CharlieBum

http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info.

With 4-5 passengers I would opt for private transport from your FLL area hotel to POM - check with Go Airport, Larry's Limos and Holland Limo. You could also use Uber XL -- are you bringing your own car seat or planning on the transport company to provide one? :confused:

Post cruise I would rent a car from an agency at the MIA airport - National, Alamo & Thrifty offer free shuttles from POM or you can taxi to MIA for $27+tip. Use one of the larger agencies with lots of cars and sign up for their frequent renter program.

Have a great cruise! :)

I'm going to follow along here, because I will have a 3 year old with me and I'm curious about transportation because I don't want to lug the car seat with me.

I was thinking of staying in Miami and walking to the port (while everyone grabs a taxi with luggage) but on another post people said it didn't look so safe, so that's out of the question. I'm not so worried about the 30 minute shuttle...there are many who will provide car seats, but more so worried about the quick 5 minute ride from FLL airport to FLL hotel or miami hotel to port.

I'm going to follow along here, because I will have a 3 year old with me and I'm curious about transportation because I don't want to lug the car seat with me.

I was thinking of staying in Miami and walking to the port (while everyone grabs a taxi with luggage) but on another post people said it didn't look so safe, so that's out of the question. I'm not so worried about the 30 minute shuttle...there are many who will provide car seats, but more so worried about the quick 5 minute ride from FLL airport to FLL hotel or miami hotel to port.

Check the family cruise board for advice from others cruising with little ones: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

You can arrange for private transport or even sometimes Uber with a car seat, but unless you bring your own (the airline will check it for free if you do not use it on the flight) it's just a guess if it is sized correctly, maintained correctly and installed correctly.

Your cruise line should offer a transfer bus where no car seat is required from the airport to the port - not fast or cheap, but it will be safe.