Question for Capt BJ or Blue Heron or other S Fl folks

crewsweeper

We're exploring options to travel to POM in January. Flying is like a nightmare for DW so we typically drive. But one car is too old and the other is 2 door with a too small of a trunk to hold all of DW's luggage and my small suitcase and back pack. So we're checking out rental cars and toying with the idea of driving down part way on the day prior and hit the downtown Miami agency drop off mid morning on sail day. Then using the agency to get a return vehicle. Cost will probably wind up similar total to driving down and parking in port, but I do not want to get up at 2 AM to try to make it to POM before 10AM in order to grab a handicap spot at the port; plus I'll need to work 1/2 day the day prior to sail date.

Question, where's the better place to stop for the night heading down? I think Melbourne is still a bit far away so looking at Ft Pierce or Port St Lucie.

Other ideas? Need reasonable hotel and a choice of good restaurants all near 95 (trying to avoid the tolls on a rental).

In advance, appreciate any input or suggestions/tips.:)

At mile marker 191 you find Viera, which is just a wee bit north of Melbourne

you would be 190 miles from the port in round numbers ... about 3 hours or less the way traffic moves on 95

at 191 there is a Holiday Inn express, a Hampton and a La Quinta all just off 95 .... and there is the Avenues at Viera shopping area with a wide variety of places to eat (Lone Star steak, Chilis, Moes, Cracker Barrel, a Greek Place, Sonny's BBQ, Perkins, Buffalo Wind Wings, Burger 21 ... more <I'd recommend Pizza Gallery .. a decent Italian place>) and a Target and Walmart if you have any last minute shopping needs - even a Total Wine if that's what you need . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

I'm a big fan of West Palm Beach.

There are some great hotel options right off I95 and they are completely safe.

There is a Marriott, Hampton Inn, Courtyard, and Doubletree right off the interstate. There are also quite a few restaurants around there.

Boca is also right down the road and I would not stay on an I95 hotel south of Boca just because the neighborhoods can be so sketchy.

West Palm will put you a couple of hours out from Miami depending on traffic.

Another option I was going to suggest is what about driving to Jacksonville (2 1/2 hours?) and hopping on Amtrak?

I love the train! It's so relaxing and that was you can avoid I95 completely.

Edited by BlueHerons

Read Coach can take you Talla to the cruise port for around $120 based on a quick dummy booking

http://www.redcoachusa.com/

more expensive then a rental I'm sure ... but no driving, gas or hotel

Hmmm. Will check into.

Looking at leaving around noon 1PM prior day to sailaway. So hitting Viera might be an option but hoping further south. West Palm could be drivable before it gets too dark. Boca probably a bit too far.

Thanks guys. Anything local favs as places to eat? I'm not a chain restaurant fan. Roadfoodie type places, but not dives (my pref, but not DW's;))

dd lives in West Palm now and it is a nice area, but I have no specific recommendations or experience in this area

In Viera, as I mentioned I recommend Pizza Gallery which is actually a decent Italian rest' that's also an art gallery. Pizza is available but not the only thing - I like their chicken parm - and even the 'za is "up scale", dw likes the teriyaki pineapple ham . . . seating inside and outside.

My $.02.

The drive from FSU to my home in Cooper City was 502 miles.

The cheap way, I10, I295, I95.

To Port Miami will be 20 miles further.

Yep! That's our usual route too when cruising out of PC, FLL or POM. We've done the I10,I75, FLTPK route to PC, I didn't find it any faster, might be a tad shorter but Orlando traffic and toll booths slow you down.

Not looking for an 8-9 hour drive all at once. Especially when it gets dark early in January and we've got no rushing reason to get to Miami in a single day. Coming home is a different tale.:D

• 1 month later...

Transportation solution found! New Car!:D:eek:

Long story short, we got a new car. Bigger trunk. So we're driving down. Spending night before in Ft Pierce. Then parking at POM.

Going to stay at Fairfield Inn off exit 129 on I-95. Any decent local place to grab a bite that evening without having to head for Applebees or Red Lobster? 12A Bouy worth the drive?

I've eaten here

popular with the locals .... can't say I'd go out of my way to go back .... just your local hang out near the boat launch IMO

But I DO like a place like this over a chain ....