French Polynesia Weather in Early March

ZBay

My wife and I are considering sailing on the PG for 14 days this coming March 3-17th and were curious if that is a rainy/ cloudy time of the year. We sailed on her the last week of this past April, and we had rain the first 5 days of the cruise. The pre-cruise people said that it also rained heavily for the entire 2 day pre-stay. Because of the weather, the captain moved Motu Mahana from Monday to Wedsnesday, and that Weds. was almost a total washout. We still had a great time there anyway.

Any input from those of you who have been there that time of year would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Hi, I've been there in April too, and the weather was fine (although hot.) I have heard from various sources that the rainy season peaks in our winter, and then dwindles, so statistically, there's probably more rain and heat in March than April. But as you have found out, it's a crapshoot. We have had Motu Mahana rained out at the end of May, so go figure! And a bit of cloud is okay with me, since it's always warm.

Hi Chris,

We have been on the PG twice (2003 and 2005), both times in late February. We had beautiful weather for the most part with a few showers during the day, but nothing that cancelled plans or dampened our enjoyment! That said, in 2005 we were told that the week before our cruise was almost a total rain-out. Hopefully the weather for your weeks in early March will be perfect, but as always, no guarantees where weather is concerned. Enjoy!

Jacki

Hi,

We were there March 15-22, 2003 and the weather was wonderful. Hot yes and a bit humid but that's where the lovely Tahitian breeze came in handy. We never had any days or excursions rained out. It sprinkled a few times but any rain was over with usually in the early morning hours and nothing during the day lasted longer then an hour before it was sunny and hot again. I just remember the weather being great.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Helene here. My husband and I are on this same sailing (3-3-07) to celebrate our 30th wedding anniverary. It's also our first time on RSSC and the PG. I'm looking for any suggestions, information, etc. from you guys who have done this before. Thanks!

Speaking of anniversaries, today, coincidentally, is our 31st anniversary. So, I guess, if we sail on the March 3rd cruise we can say we're celebrating our 31 1/2 anniversary:) . You will most likely enjoy virtually everything about the PG, especially since it is all inclusive next year. The French Polynesians don't call the January to March season the "rainy season", they call it the "humid season". I guess it is just very visible humidity! :) But, as has been mentioned on this thread, the weather is not completely predictable, but sun is far more likely than rain. You are going to be spoiled having your first cruise on the PG be a 14 day one. We were spoiled by our 7 day cruise on her this past April. You'll most likely not look at the "mainstream" cruise lines the same way again. Casual dress, all inclusive, beautifully appointed cabins, open seating, wonderful service, great food and wines, an almost full day before and after the cruise, etc and there is a recipe for planning your next trip while on the plane ride home!

It will be our 43rd anniversary,and our second RSSC cruise. I've been taking notes on what to bring,what to wear,what to buy,who to book through and where to stay pre and post cruise.thats the five "W"'s almost the journalists creed I think. Actually this has always been my dream vacation spot and I only hope I'm not overly hyper about going there. Sometimes when you look forward to a long anticipated trip you set your expectations a tad high.But what the heck---I've never NOT had a ball where ever we have tavelled. I trulely am looking forward to meeting some of the people I have been reading on here. I know we are heading for "Eden". Both of us "used to be" divers, now we just snorkle and are bringing our own gear.

However Ray and I are leaving this Monday for a 22 day land tour of China. We have spent two weeks in Beijing before and can hardly wait to see the Three Gorges as well as Xian and the clay warriers.The camera is ready and so am I.

Hope the list for 3-3-07 keeps growing and that a roll call starts soon.Cheers,Pat and Ray.

Hi Pat. I am not sure if you are aware of it or not, but the ship provides complimentary, and more than adequate snorkeling gear. You sign it out at the beginning of the cruise and back in at the end. You do that at the Marina at the aft of the ship. So, unless you love your own equipment, you don't have to bring it on the plane. The only thing is that you won't have it for the pre and post stay, but that is a small price to pay, in my estimation! Also from the Marina you guys might want to take out the 2 man kayaks and row around the beautiful anchorages.

• 3 weeks later...

Chris, thanks for that tip about not packing the snorkel stuff. We have decent equip. but don't need to schlep it across the world if we don't have to.

I recall reading somewhere that a previous PG cruiser said to bring a cheap blow up float thing to sit on at one of the beaches--or something like that. Anyone have an opinion on this? We just happened to get one from Neil's company this summer and I am not blowing it up (of course now it's no longer summer in the NorthEast so it's no big deal not to use it). If you guys think it's something worth space/weight/packing, let me know.

I have a question for you previous cruisers--we signed up for the one day precruise package but am wondering if it's worth it for one day. What do you think?

See you in Paradise!

Helene

I think the pre-cruise is worth it as it gives you a chance to catch up on your sleep and not feel bagged when you board the ship. That way you can start enjoying your cruise without being tired from the moment you board. Also it allows you to board at the normal time and not late in the evening as some flights don't get into Papeete until late at night after everyone else has already boarded and not long before you cast off. If you are lucky to get a flight that gets you there the evening before then you can even use the morning to explore downtown Papeete or drive around the island if you rent a car. One night pre-cruise is better then none but 2 or 3 is even better to help you ease into laid back island mode.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Archived