Vancouver 2 nights -where to eat what to do?

Bimmie Girl

We are south of Canada Place, north of the airport, and will be probably walking. What would you recommend as a decent fair priced seafood restaurant? And how safe is walking around the city in that area at night?
There are three Holiday Inn's that fits your description....

• Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown (Howe)
  • Holiday Inn Vancouver-Centre (Broadway)
  • Holiday Inn Express Vancouver (Richmond by Costco)

There are three Holiday Inn's that fits your description....

• Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Vancouver Downtown (Howe)
  • Holiday Inn Vancouver-Centre (Broadway)
  • Holiday Inn Express Vancouver (Richmond by Costco)

I think if you read the posts, you will see that the are staying at the HI on Howe St.

I think the moderator will move this thread. However, I am confused a bit about the Hilton being close to Stanley Park. Hilton doesn't have a property anywhere downtown Vancouver let alone close to Stanley Park. They do have a Hampton Inn which is downtown but nowhere close to the park. I think if you cleared that up dinner venues would be forth coming.

Some posters get all in a knot about people spending a day in Victoria....I don't, particularly if you have given some thought to it. Granted, it's a long day, at least 12 hours but that is part of the adventure. The ferry trip to and from Vancouver Is. is about a picturesque journey you can enjoy, there are spots that you will pass going thru the Gulf Islands that you will feel that you can reach out and touch. Victoria and the scenery coming and going is unique and if you have thought it out....then go and enjoy your day and don't listen to the naysayers hundreds of people do each day.

You are correct it is Hampton not Hilton.

And I'd be one of those knotted people;-)

In all seriousness - if you've been to Vancouver before, have seen the sights in and around the city, and have Butchart on your bucket list, by all means have at it. But it's along and expensive day - which can only be shortened byt throwing more money at it (i.e. flying one or both ways, or perhaps combining a whale-watch one way so at least your hours on the water have more than simply enjoying the admittedly very pretty scenery).

OTOH if by visiting Butchart you are choosing to opt out of a day in Vancouver without having seen the sights, it seems simply prudent to point out that for far less time and money you can visit a wide variety of gardens that are in many cases superior to Butchart's elements. I'm also of the opinion that even with flights both ways, the length of time you spend in the gardens and in Victoria is simply not enough to fully appreciate either. Plus, your dinner options on that day will consist of a cafeteria type meal on a ferry unless you want to eat very late or fly back!

On the Vancouver things to do and eat front, first dress codes do not exist here - even the fanciest restos in town have no such thing, and would never bring them in for fear of scaring off the many celebrities in town filming who are more likely to be in jeans & T-shirts than some designer gown on their nights off. There are many excellent places to eat - but without some idea of what you love and hate to eat and a vague budget it's hard to recommend anywhere ideal for you. Sending a couple of vegans to Wildebeest for a nose-to-tail dining experience, or recommending the best sashimi in town to folks who hate raw fish, is not going to help you much!

Granville Island is a nice spot to purchase quirky souvenirs, assemble your own picnic lunch (or buy excellent premade sandwiches and the like) then sit outside and watch the buskers. If you're not gardened-out after the day before, Queen Elizabeth Park offers some beautiful free gardens with the best views in the city - it's at the highest point and overlooks all of downtown, English Bay, across to the mountains etc. Seasons in the Park is a good spot to eat with lots of glass and outdoor seating to take in the views. A tad pricey because of the views, but one of the more tolerable markups!

Walk or bike the Seawall - if your Stanley Park 'tour' is part of a post-cruise one, you will stop at very few points in the park so revisiting that is probably a good plan too.

I'll second PDs puzzlement over Hilton placement and recommend you double-check the booking! Being stuck out at the airport or Metrotown are not ideal for wandering our downtown streets...

We eat everything and are into local places, good wine or drinks. We are staying downtown close to Stanley park.

We eat everything and are into local places, good wine or drinks. We are staying downtown close to Stanley park.

We are staying at the Westin Bay shore not the Hilton, Princess is just posting our trip that we booked 18 months in advance.

Handily enough someone else was asking about restos near the Bayshore quite recently. Here are a couple of threads where myself and others posted suggestions.

Nothing new has opened in the last few weeks so it remains up-to-date info. if you're willing to go further afield than walking distance from the hotel to dine, there are hundreds more options - a Search for 'Vancouver Restaurants' will bring up a lot of hits on the West Coast, Canada/Pacific and Alaska boards.

If you can't get enough info from that, follow-up with more Qs!

One of my faves close to the Bayshore is Carneros; its kind of an upscale marine themed pub with great views of Stanley Park and the Coal Harbour yacht basin. Just a few steps west of the Bayshore is Lift, terrific food, the same great views as Carderos, and a little more pricey. For breakfast I would head up Cardero St. to the White Spot, a tradition in Vancouver for more than 60 years.

https://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/

http://liftbarandgrill.com

https://www.whitespot.ca

One of my faves close to the Bayshore is Carneros; its kind of an upscale marine themed pub with great views of Stanley Park and the Coal Harbour yacht basin. Just a few steps west of the Bayshore is Lift, terrific food, the same great views as Carderos, and a little more pricey. For breakfast I would head up Cardero St. to the White Spot, a tradition in Vancouver for more than 60 years.

Thanks!!! can't wait to check them out!

Granville Island Market is a great place to explore.

If you are in to plays as evening entertainment then look up the website for the Bard on the Beach. Very informal and not expensive. Plays this year are Romeo and Juliet, Merry Wives of Windsor, Othello and Pericles. We went to see one of Shakespeare's when we were there in August 2014 and loved it even though it was not one of his plays we were familiar with.

There is also one of those on/off buses that you can ride to different tourist spots.

I second the Queen Elizabeth park suggestion as a wonderful place for a great view as well as a really nice park to walk around.

My son lives in Vancouver and he has, of course, gone to Vancouver Island a few times but he always says it is a LONG day!

My son lives in Vancouver and he has, of course, gone to Vancouver Island a few times but he always says it is a LONG day!
Unless you are flying to the island (30 minutes)..... Vancouver to Victoria is 4 to 5 hours one way. As a result, it becomes a day trip when you need to work with the ferry schedule.

• 2 weeks later...

We have had a chance to look at all your suggestions and want to try them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to post the web sites along with the suggestions. Very excited. Huge thanks!

Hi Bimmiegirl,

You're on the Island Princess with us 😄 as I see from the Roll Call.

We're going to Victroria by car for two days, then back to Vancouver for the last night, staying at the Hyatt.

I love Hy's for steak and their caesar salad. Coast on Alberni is good for seafood, as is Joe Fortes. Cactus Club cafe by the Olympic flame is great for casual eats, and I always have breakfast at Bellagio at the convention centre with its view of the ships, although you won't see ours as she will be moored the other side of Canada Place. Maybe all a bit touristy for the local's 😉?

Regards,

Annabel