Tequila beach tours/El Faro Beach Club in Mahahual?

showguyer

I am looking to book a cheap snorkeling tour in Costa Maya. I found this one excursion, but cant find much info about this particular place. Has anyone ever used or been to this place? Any info would help. Thanks! :D

http://tequilabeachtours.com/home/10-costa-maya-coral-reef-snorkeling-.html

Costa Maya is not know for snorkeling. Clearly this is a boat tour, but when I was there 10 days ago all of the boats that were taking people out were tiny. I would not take this excursion, but we swim well enough to swim out to the reef.

Well, I know there's a reef out there. Ive seen quite a bit of places offering snorkeling, but the prices were crazy expensive. I dont really care so much about the boats, just curious about these excursions, and how they work.....

Has anyone done a snorkeling excursion by the reef before?

Tequila Beach is one of the first beach clubs taxis and buses stop at. Tends to get crowded, by default. But has always had more water activities than other places, although the others appear to be catching up. El Faro is next door to Tropicante and closer to the middle of the malecon. He used to have great masseuses for those looking for a beach side massage. I would take the food and service at El Faro over Tequila Beach any day, but neither would be my preferred spot for a beach stay.

A 20 minute small boat ride could easily take you out to one of the cayes in the Banco Chincorro reef. There are several dive sites there. Or stay closer to shore and head south toward Punta Jorna. What the pp mentioned as a reef is the semi-submerged breakwater along the shore line that keeps the beach area a little more quitter wave action wise. Best shore snorkeling in the area is north of the cruise port around Playa Uvereo

What I'm not getting off your link is the $3 pp for the snorkel. Seems at bit light given the relative cost of everything else.

Thanks for the info! The 3.00 per person is just a deposit. you pay the 20.00 pp balance at the time of the excursion. Im just confused. It says its through tequila Beach Club, but then it takes place at El Faro Beach Club. Have you ever heard of Krazy Krab Beach Club? Thats another one Im interested in, through Shore Excursioneer. Its a couple dollars more, but curious if it may be any better.

It's a similar type of place, like all the others along the malecon. It has been around for awhile. I haven't been there, but divers on long stay dive vacations have told me that although it's not the top of the line in terms of food in Mahahual their whole snapper is a good bargain, well prepared. I don't think they have a website, but are affiliated with one of the small hotels there.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if all of these places aren't using the same boats and heading to the same area, with the boat owners going to whichever place has the most reservations. Sounds like they all go out of the municipal pier. The slight $ differences may be for an amenity or two variation coming from the club owners.

Unless someone else chimes in with an actual review of an excursion they had, and this is definitely something you'd like to do, flip a coin.

Just so you understand the" lay of the land" on beach clubs here. The malecon is a paved boardwalk that goes along for a couple of kilometers or so with buildings on one side and the beach and the ocean on the other. Each "club" puts out loungers and sometimes palapas or umbrellas on the beach in front of it's main building with just enough room separating it from the next beach club so waiters don't go over serving someone's customers (although lounger hawkers will steer you to their lounges over someone else's). It's all one stretch. Get off at the first stop and walk the entire path, or get off anywhere and go in any direction. No barriers between clubs; no need to go to the street side to enter.

Edited by crewsweeper

crewsweeper thanks for your help! that does help a bit. Do you have to pay to use these clubs? because some of these snorkeling excursions say afterward I can enjoy the beach club as long as I want.

Edited by showguyer

At most places along the malecon, you only have to buy a drink or some food. No charge for the loungers, but everything else is pay-as-you-go.

There are a couple of places that have A.I. packages, with advanced reservations, Pez Quadro and YaYa , but both also have paygo too. Nohoch Kay down past Pez Quadro is an exclusive A.I. stop and you do need reservations to park it here.

There are some u-tube videos floating around on the malecon. A couple are of the bicycle tour coming back through the entire strip. Google them out. They'll give you a nice perspective on what to expect visually.