Need help with picking a new walk around lens

wmjivey

looking to upgrade my kit lens for my Sony A57 its a 18-55 nothing special, but as kit lens go its really not bad. I thinking of picking up either a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 (new version) or a

Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 macro contemporary. I read the Tamy is better, but the Sig has Marco and 20mm. Anyone have them to get me some advice

John

Wondering are you looking for better low light or more super zoom.

IMHO if you are looking for better low light, pick up a 35 or 50 prime and also get a larger range zoom.

18-55 is really limited zoom, but you'll find the 17-55 marginally no different but much bigger, heavier, and faster of course.

Thanks for the reply, I will be bringing my 50 1.7 prime and a nice 70-300. I have been working alittle over time so I can buy one lens, I have not upgraded my low end so thats why I looking at these two lens. I could get a super zoom but the quality will suffer. Sony mounts does not give me alot of choice for what I want in my price range. By the way we are are doing a Western Caribbean cruise, so looking for something for a Ruin trip.

Thanks

John

Edited by wmjivey

Wondering are you looking for better low light or more super zoom.

IMHO if you are looking for better low light, pick up a 35 or 50 prime and also get a larger range zoom.

18-55 is really limited zoom, but you'll find the 17-55 marginally no different but much bigger, heavier, and faster of course.

The Tamron 17-50 isn't too big. In terms of image quality, it is vastly superior to the 18-55. I wouldn't say the differences are marginal.

Certainly, to some people, they won't notice the difference between a cheap 70-300 kit telephoto and a $3,000 70-200/2.8.

The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is vastly superior to the kit lens, and I recommend it.... BUT..

While the Tammy is very good, much better than the kit lens, it's no where close to the Sony 16-50/2.8 SSM. The Sony 16-50/2.8 is the best aps-c zoom lens I ever used, if not the best zoom. So if you can spend a little more, the 16-50 is worth it. I found it sharper than many primes.