Grand Suite or Owners Suite 701

kej1

We will be going on our first PG cruise this summer. We are debating between a Grand Suite and the owners suite 701. We are very lucky and celebrating a very special occasion. Does anyone know the difference or have a preference? Thank you!

I looked at both and chose a grand suite. I just loved standing up front watching as we sailed into different ports - the upper deck was usually closed as it was "early" morning and thus no-one else got this view. And the deck was big enough for two loungers usually with wonderful sun and wonderful privacy. The down side re entertaining others is the bed is in the same space as the lounge area ... ah well, such are the things we have to suffer

I looked at both and chose a grand suite. I just loved standing up front watching as we sailed into different ports - the upper deck was usually closed as it was "early" morning and thus no-one else got this view. And the deck was big enough for two loungers usually with wonderful sun and wonderful privacy. The down side re entertaining others is the bed is in the same space as the lounge area ... ah well, such are the things we have to suffer

Are the windows such you can see the view indoors for the bed or chairs indoors? Are the windows floor to ceiling glass? How is the bathroom? Thanks for your response!

Are the windows such you can see the view indoors for the bed or chairs indoors? Are the windows floor to ceiling glass? How is the bathroom? Thanks for your response!
the bathroom is the same size whatever level cabin, which is more than a tad disappointing.

In the grand suite you have floor to ceiling windows to the side, and a moderate size window forward facing placed above the couch.

The side deck has two chairs and a coffee table, the forward deck has two chairs, a coffee table and two loungers and a pile of space to boot.

Edited by Adidas4fun

Google "Paul Gauguin Cruises Suites and Staterooms" and the photo at the top of the page is a Grand Suite (802 - which we have sailed in). There really isn't much view from the sitting area or bed. The balcony outside the floor to ceiling windows is separated from the front balcony by a heavy metal door. The front balcony is nice when anchored, but a bit breezy when sailing. When the deck above is open for passengers to go up there, they can look down on the front balcony.

The bathroom is small and plain given that it is part of a "suite". It is not meant for two people getting ready at the same time.

Google "Paul Gauguin Cruises Suites and Staterooms" and the photo at the top of the page is a Grand Suite (802 - which we have sailed in). There really isn't much view from the sitting area or bed. The balcony outside the floor to ceiling windows is separated from the front balcony by a heavy metal door. The front balcony is nice when anchored, but a bit breezy when sailing. When the deck above is open for passengers to go up there, they can look down on the front balcony.

The bathroom is small and plain given that it is part of a "suite". It is not meant for two people getting ready at the same time.

Whilst they can look down upon the balcony if you are sitting back on the chairs or loungers you are not visible.

kej1 -

In thinking about the PG Grand or Owner's Suites, are you looking for luxurious appointments in those suites? Do be aware of the differences between Grand and Owner's Suites on the Paul Gauguin versus accommodations of the same name on Silversea, Seabourn, etc.

I was going to say something similar. I've only just peeked into those cabins, but even the largest cabin on the PG is very modest by luxury industry standards, and not particularly luxuriously appointed.

You might want to save your money and just book a deck 8 cabin, which are just a bit bigger than standard. Spend the difference on the best first of business class air, and a nice pre-cruise stay at some lovely hotel.

I will be staying on deck 3. Your one cruise is three for me!

Want a great view sailing into port? Find the secret balcony on deck 8!!!

Twin -

The trouble is that the secret balcony is hardly a secret any more.

Wendy -

We agree with you. The category A cabins, for instance, are only 32 square feet smaller inside than the Grand Suites, but thousands less in price. We happened to be blessed with an upsell offer though, so we had to try a Grand Suite.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

Well on our cruise I kept looking to see what interloper dared to access the secret balcony so I could admonish them and I saw not a soul.

And although the cat A cabins are not a lot smaller the deck is tiny by comparison to the grand suites deck and truly standing out front as you sailed into or out of port was wonderful. In the evenings I would stand there with my wine and canapes close to hand whilst the wind tousled what little hair I have left.

But also agree with Silver Sweethearts re the "luxury" of these suites. But then on my river cruise the owners suite we had was smaller again and yet fellow cruisers who came back to see it were still gobsmacked at what we had in comparison to them.

Thank you everyone for the replies! We knew that PG would not be as fancy as Seabourn and others, but love the iten and really wanted to do it in our summer/their winter.

We will check out the 8th floor rooms as well. We love spending time on our balcony which is why the grand suite was appealing ( size of balcony) and 701 has a larger deck as well. . The only thing is if you have to stand up to see the view....although I am sure we will be outside a lot on this cruise!

Thank you!