suggestions for amateur snorkeling without stingrays

LoriSan

DH and I love to snorkel, although we've only done a few times. We did the stingrays before and they kind of freaked us both out. We will also have our 12 year old son, who has never snorkeled and is not overly adventurous. We did get him a full face mask and plan to try it out in the tub beforehand. :p

Suggestions of which tour might be best for us or where we can go? Also need somewhere to rent the rest of the gear.

We really, really like Sunset House Dive Resort. It's about a mile south of town. When you get off the tenders start walking to your right. Mile, mile and a half, something like that. Not a bad walk. They will let you rent gear there, there is an awesome ocean "pool" where you can get geared up and practice then swim out and either snorkel along the shore or head out to the reef. They bar/restaurant (MyBar) is a GREAT place to hang out and have some food and drink afterward. Really a great day, if you don't want to take a tour.

I'd be a lil cautious about Sunset House. Note this IS my shore dive of choice on the island having stayed at Sunset many times .... I know the place well.

Even at the 'sea pool' this is perhanps not a good spot for a raw beginner esp'ly one who's "not adventurous". Even at the sea pool the water is gonna be 6 foot deep or more, and certainly deeper as soo as you venture out to 'real reef'. There is no place to stand up so anyone snorkeling here needs to be a reasonably good swimmer. There IS a pool and if you rent gear from the dive shop and ask if you can familiarize yourself in the pool first, they almost always say yes ..... this aerial shot shows the lay of the land and coral formations just off shore. Sea pool is the square cutout at the top

sunsethouse_zps9083c174.jpg

if snorkeling from beach would be better I'd recommend a place a bit down the road past Sunset House ... Smith's Cove. Very nice little beach and easy snorkeling but only facilities is a simple restroom/shower and some picnic tables

8276400450_3092723f2b_b.jpg