Is PORT SIDE BALCONY much better ?

momeason

We are taking the Gulf of Alaska Cruise Southbound on the Island Princess.

Our cruise agent talked us into starboard side balcony because we could get a lower category/cost. He said the ship turns around in Glacier Bay and College Fjord and you can't see land while in the Gulf. Is the port side a lot better. I could try to upgrade?

When we do the Inside passage portion, is the scenery better on the port or Starboard side? We will, of course, still be going South.

Most of the glacier viewing along with its narration is on the port side while sailing into both GB and CF. The ship does turn around and then starboard side gets the same viewing on the way out. Either way, you'll also want to spend some time up on deck for the full experience while there. I really can't compare port to starboard at other points in the cruise since we've always had a port balcony.

By a very small margin, take starboard side going to Alaska from Vancouver or Seattle, or port side going from Alaska (Whittier) to the US. If you save $200 or more on your total booking don't worry about it. If you don't have a balcony, don't worry about it. If you saved less than $200 ($100 per person) ask to go back to your original request. You will get the best views from the deck regardless. IMHO

By a very small margin, take starboard side going to Alaska from Vancouver or Seattle, or port side going from Alaska (Whittier) to the US. If you save $200 or more on your total booking don't worry about it. If you don't have a balcony, don't worry about it. If you saved less than $200 ($100 per person) ask to go back to your original request. You will get the best views from the deck regardless. IMHO

Thanks. We saved $600 on the cabin by staying on the starboard side going south. The only cabins left were $300 more per person and 210 sq feet inc balcony instead of my original cabin 3 floors up which is 310 sq ft. inc balcony. When we go into College Fjord at 6:30 am on the first day, I may not be awake yet. I will be awake when we depart. " Don't Worry, Be Happy! "

Thanks. We saved $600 on the cabin by staying on the starboard side going south. The only cabins left were $300 more per person and 210 sq feet inc balcony instead of my original cabin 3 floors up which is 310 sq ft. inc balcony. When we go into College Fjord at 6:30 am on the first day, I may not be awake yet. I will be awake when we depart. " Don't Worry, Be Happy! "

This is definately a day to miss your sleep. :) Your scenic sailing here is way before 6:30am.

Archived