Ketchikan Herring Cove - bears?

PinkDiamondGirl

We will be in Ketchikan on Aug 5, 2015 (7AM - 4PM). We would like to see the bears eating salmon if possible - would prefer not to take a floatplane out so we were looking at Herring Cove. It's unclear if we would be able to see bears eating salmon there - does anyone have any experience?

TIA!

As it says in this link " if you spend enough time at Herring Cove you will see a bear".

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/bear-viewing-in-alaska.html

I'm content with bear viewing at Denali so I have zero personal experience with Herring Cove. I only recall one trip report from this summer that included a visit to HC and that was from stiley. Look at the STICKY above to find it. They did the ketchikan taxi tour and made a few trips to the Cove. They saw a couple of bears.

use Herring Cove in the SEARCH THIS FORUM tool to find thru past threads.

Herring Cove is more miss than hit on seeing bears. We stopped by there but didn't see any 2 years ago, although we did count 35 eagles. There are several posts from folks that have seen them. We will continue to go out as we don't do the fly in trips which gives you your best chance. Including Denali has a much better chance of seeing them as well.

If you go to Herring Cove there is very little parking and they do ticket. Also need to be careful about trespassing on private property. There is a path near the bridge where there is access to the creek although if you do see bears, viewing from the bridge is probably the best spot.

I agree, Herring Cove is NOT a good place to spend your time, unless "waiting" is ok with you? It also is NOT a "public" area. The Hatchery is private, and so are the residents.

IF you plan on taking one of the cheap "tours" out there, even a poorer choice, in my opinion.

FAR more successful sightings. I have gone to three of the fly in areas that are consistent for viewing.

What time of year have you been to these areas? Was one better than another? Would you mind sharing the names of the areas?

Thanks

What time of year have you been to these areas? Was one better than another? Would you mind sharing the names of the areas?

Thanks

Yes, the bear areas are very time specific.

Anan, I don't go there before second week of July to make sure I am peak.

Neets- I go there last week of July through first days of Sept.

Traitors, in August.

I use Southeast Aviation, except Neets contractor is with Pro Mech, who I have had good luck with walk up bookings at a discount compared to the cruiseline- BUT- I don't care whether I go or not- with Neets my least preferred. Necessary is an early port time, and making this reservation right after the ship clears.