Airport Security Shoe Requirements

SeaLeg2010

I wear a prosthetic leg. I could take off my shoes at airport security, but the only way I could get the shoe back on the prosthetic foot would be to take off my pants, take off the leg, use my shoe horn to pry the shoe back on, put on the leg, and pull my pants up! :eek: What's the alternative?

I wear a prosthetic leg. I could take off my shoes at airport security, but the only way I could get the shoe back on the prosthetic foot would be to take off my pants, take off the leg, use my shoe horn to pry the shoe back on, put on the leg, and pull my pants up! :eek: What's the alternative?

You explain to them exactly what you've told us. They can do a scan of your leg and shoe without you having to disrobe.

Tell them you are prepared to do all that BUT...you get to keep all the tips. :D

I have a friend that has a prosthetic leg, and she travels all the time. She tells them that she has a prosthesis and can't take it off. They always pull her aside and do the wand instead. Last time, she went through that new security thing, but I don't know if that's in every airport yet. It's I think the x-ray vision one.

I have a friend that has a prosthetic leg, and she travels all the time. She tells them that she has a prosthesis and can't take it off. They always pull her aside and do the wand instead. Last time, she went through that new security thing, but I don't know if that's in every airport yet. It's I think the x-ray vision one.

Our son has a prosthetic leg - had an above-knee amputation 10 years ago.

While he usually just gets pulled aside and wanded, on one occasion (Gatwick, London, UK), he had to go behind a screen with the screener and remove his leg.

The screener was very apologetic and somewhat embarrassed, but said that he had to comply with policy.

DS's leg stays on by suction. The part that goes over his stump does not touch the bottom of the stump, so it could, theoretically, be possible to hide something in the gap inside the prosthesis. DS said he got the impression that they were looking for drugs, not explosives.

I don't know what your rights are in this situation in the USA - just offering a personal experience from our family.

I appreciate the advice and the stories. By the way, I tried going shopping for shoes that might work today. Nothing did. But, when I was ready to leave, resigned to walking across the parking lot in one stocking foot (on the prosthesis), I thought, "What the heck, might as well try," and put my old shoe on the prosthetic foot without taking my pants offf and with only a little effort! :D

I appreciate the advice and the stories. By the way, I tried going shopping for shoes that might work today. Nothing did. But, when I was ready to leave, resigned to walking across the parking lot in one stocking foot (on the prosthesis), I thought, "What the heck, might as well try," and put my old shoe on the prosthetic foot without taking my pants offf and with only a little effort! :D

Well I don't know how your leg is, but my friend is an above knee amputee, and she has a button thing on the leg that turns the leg 180 degrees so that the foot is basically in front of her face and she can get the shoe on that way. Of course, then the problem is if your pants are stretchy enough to accomodate that. Not sure if you're comfortable wearing sandals, but what about sandals that have a strap across the ankle? Might be easier to get on, and then you can always ask someone to just buckle the strap if you can't reach it. Course, this is all just second hand ideas from what I see my friend do.

I wear a long leg brace on my left leg and go through in a wheelchair. I take off my right shoe and put it through the scanner. For some unknown reason, if I do this, I don't get hassled.

When you go through, try this and explain about your artificial leg. They will probably use a wand to check you, and then they will swipe both your artificial leg and the shoe and test them. DO NOT take off your leg unless a supervisor commands you to. It is against the law for them to require that. If you are forced to take it off, take down the supervisors name and report it so that he will be informed of his error. It is unlikely that you will be hassled.

Happy traveling! I have been on at least 25 flights since 911, and most of the security people are very nice!

I wear a long leg brace on my left leg and go through in a wheelchair. I take off my right shoe and put it through the scanner. For some unknown reason, if I do this, I don't get hassled.

When you go through, try this and explain about your artificial leg. They will probably use a wand to check you, and then they will swipe both your artificial leg and the shoe and test them. DO NOT take off your leg unless a supervisor commands you to. It is against the law for them to require that. If you are forced to take it off, take down the supervisors name and report it so that he will be informed of his error. It is unlikely that you will be hassled.

Happy traveling! I have been on at least 25 flights since 911, and most of the security people are very nice!

I agree with all this, but I would like to point out that the law referred to above is the law in the USA. The situation is not so clear in countries outside the USA, which is why my son was required to remove his prosthesis.

• 2 weeks later...

I travel thru US airports a lot for work. Yu do not have to remove your leg and (mst of the time) thy will not make you put your shoes thru xray if you tell them you cannot remove it. Tell them it is attached/part of your leg. They will wand you and swab shoes, hands and any 'components' (braces, straps, pros. limbs, w/c etc)

If you get hassled demand a CRO (complaint resolution officer) or TSA Supervisor. *This all applies for USA TSA rules.

Security is no biggie- they seem a little nervous with us gimps ie that they might do something to offend us or cause a scene. Just tell them up front you have a disability related need, slap a smile on your face and go with the flow.

Have fun

jane

Archived