Leaving from Galveston-need advice

Beachiekeen

We are sailing on the Carnival Magic March 15 from Galveston and have purchased Faster To The Fun. We live in Dallas and could drive down the day of but I am trying to convince hubby we need to drive down the day before and stay overnight (especially since we have FTTF).

So how does this work: can we park at the hotel for free the whole week? Which hotels provide shuttles? Does Carnival have a shuttle? And when we get back from the cruise, how do we get back to the hotel, a cab?

What hotels are most recommended? Hubby doesn't want to spend very much and actually wants to drive down the day of but that seems so risky and I don't want to start the vacation stressed. I have also seen reports of staying in Texas City--would that be cheaper? But then where do we park and how do we get to the ship?

I know the La Quinta West has a stay and park program. Stay at least one night and you can park for the week for $24, with shuttle service to and from the port. The hotel is clean and right across from the beach. Breakfast is not much, waffles, pastries, juice and coffee.

I think the shuttle guy,Terry, operates mostly on tips. We usually tip him well and he takes good care of us. He gives you his card, and when disembarking call him when you clear customs, and he's usually there in 15 mins.

We're from Ft Worth cruising out of Galveston Nov.8. We're driving down the night before and staying in LaPorte which is about 45 minutes away. 75 a night vs. 200+ to stay in Galveston. We booked a spot online at a parking lot near the port(Lighthouse parking) for $25 for 6 days with shuttle service

Sent from my XT1060 using Forums mobile app

We're from Ft Worth cruising out of Galveston Nov.8. We're driving down the night before and staying in LaPorte which is about 45 minutes away. 75 a night vs. 200+ to stay in Galveston. We booked a spot online at a parking lot near the port(Lighthouse parking) for $25 for 6 days with shuttle service

Sent from my XT1060 using Forums mobile app

Thanks! Enjoy your cruise!

We booked at the inn at the water park, 75.00 for one night includes parking and shuttle to the pier. We always go down the night before. Gives us time to unwind and dont have to worry if you get i traffic or have car trouble.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Forums mobile app

There are several relatively cheap hotels on the island like Gaido's Seaside Inn and The Commodore that are decent and offer free cruise parking. However the cab service is less than reliable in Galveston in my opinion so I still park with one of the private lots.

To take advantage of FTTF I'd definitely prefer staying somewhere in the Houston-Galveston area vs risking an early morning drive. Houston traffic can be pretty exciting some times!

• 2 weeks later...

There is a lot of road construction going on in the North Houston suburbs that will slow down your drive. It would be best to come in the night before.

There is a town called The Woodlands on the north side along I45 (75 south out of Dallas turns into this) with good hotel prices & a vacation style atmosphere within 5 minutes of the interstate. You could stay there & then drive the rest of the way the next day. Cheapest parking in this instance will be one of the privately owned lots by the ship. I like EZ CRUISE PARKING, because it is just across the street from the Magic & easy to walk to.

Either way, I would consider taking i45 to Hardy Toll Rd to 610 east then onto 59 south and then back on I45 south of downtown Houston. You'll have to pay tolls, but you'll miss a lot of stop & go congestion on I45 north of and in downtown.

Good luck & have fun!